New CPU

RobShift

Baseband Member
Okay, so I'm going to be upgrading my computer with an i7 intel processor (Intel Core i7 3820 3.6GHz Socket 2011 10MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor - probably this one unless you can suggest otherwise) and I'm wary that I may have to change my motherboard etc.

I'm going to be gaming with this new CPU and upgrading my computer with a new GPU, monitor, tower etc over time (but not now).

My current processor is an intel i3 550 3.20GHz

kind of don't want to screw this up so some help would be appreciated

Is that processor worth buying?
Do I need to change my motherboard? If so how?
Will I need a new heat sync? If so, how do I install it?
Any other feedback/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rob.

Last edited:
Unless you're getting that 3820 for 100 bucks or less it isn't worth it or the cost for the X79 platform (which is also outdated).

If you're just gaming you would be much better off with the i5 4670k. i7's are useless for gaming as games do not utilize HT like certain productivity programs. So you're better off not spending the money. The 4670k is also a good 30% faster than the 3820 for gaming and comes with the better Z87 chipset.

Yes you will need a new motherboard. Take the old board out, install new CPU into new motherboard, install old RAM (I suggest getting 8GB if you don't have that much), place new motherboard in PC, plug in the rest, done.

Most all CPUs (besides the socket 2011 CPUs) come with stock heatsink. Simply install it like the guide tells you that comes in the box.

Depending on exactly what your current setup is I suggest getting a new PSU before upgrading anything else. If you're upgrading a pre-built you will need to make sure the board you buy will fit the case you have too.

Okay, I have a 600W psu, will this need upgrading?
I also have 4gb RAM

Intel Core i5 4670K Quad Core Retail CPU (Socket 1150, 3.40GHz, 6MB, Haswell, 84W, Intel Graphics, BX80646I74770, 4th Generation Intel Core, Turbo Boost Technology 2.0): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories - will this processor do?

I'm guessing that processor comes with a heat sync, like you said.

What RAM and motherboard should I get? (could you link please)

Also, will I need to upgrade my case? It isn't intended to be a gaming pc case. However, it hasn't overheated since I've had it (3 years)

Last edited:
Tackling both case and PSU questions. Idk what brand you have of either, so can't answer those questions without more information. I can't link a board unless I know what form factor you need, so will need more info on the previous.

As to the RAM I can answer that but with another question. Do you have 2 sticks of RAM, or just 1? Also what speed is your RAM?

I just have a standard dell case.

What is a form factor sorry?

How do i find my speed of RAM?

The power supply is a lepa N600W, I have 4 1Gb sticks of RAM, the case is a dell inspiron 580

Answers it all thanks.

Ok, the PSU will have to go sooner rather than later. You can buy the above mentioned hardware (CPU and all included) but when you get a better GPU that will suck the juice you will need to upgrade the PSU too.

Since you have 4 1GB sticks you should probably buy an 8GB 1600MHz setup.
Something like these.
Corsair Memory Vengeance Black 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 9 XMP Dual Channel Desktop - CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 - Scan.co.uk

Now I can answer your other questions.
Form factor = the motherboard standard. ATX or mATX. Your case uses an mATX standard board which is smaller than ATX.

So to add to that CPU you can get this board which won't allow overclocking but is cheaper.
Asus B85M-G Socket 1150 Motherboard B85 Haswell - Scan.co.uk

Or you can get this board which will fit your case and when you may need it (eh 2-5 years later) you can overclock.
ASRock Z87M PRO4 Intel Z87 Socket 1150 Motherboard - Scan.co.uk

Thankyou!

Just to clarify, I don't need to a new PSU right at this minute then? Only when I upgrade my GPU?

So I'm guessing that this setup that you've linked will all fit nicely together and will be compatible with what I already have while not over heating my computer?

Corsair Memory Vengeance Black 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 9 XMP Dual Channel
Desktop
ASRock Z87M PRO4 Intel Z87 Socket 1150 Motherboard
Intel Core i5 4670K Quad Core

Sorry but I'm being paranoid and dumb, does that cpu i linked come with a heat sync like you said?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom