A hardware question: videocards and processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shomac5k

Baseband Member
Hi, I have some questions regarding my current CPU speed, and how a newer videocard will run on it.

I have an AMD Athlon XP 1.2 GHZ, and 512 mb DDR memory.

I was thinking about upgrading my video card from a Radeon 7500 to something like a GeForce 6800GT, ATI Radeon X800 PRO 256MB AGP, Radeon 9800XT 256MB, or a Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB... so my questions are would my computer be able to support a nop notch video card? Would I be able to run games like HL2, Doom 3, Far Cry, UT2004, with perfect framerate?

I was reading some reviews for these cards, and they say you need a good processor for the games to run. But I definitely do not want to spend the money on a processor, and will not. So is it worth buying a video card with my current CPU specs?

Which video card should I buy which best suits the specs?

Would just upgrading my RAM another 256 DDR make a big difference?

Would a Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB be able to run all the new games at a decent framerate?

Also, how do I find out my computer's power wattage?

Thanks and respect,
Shane

Any of those cards you ahve listed will increase performace, but the limiting factor will be your processor. So it would be a waste to get the x800 or the 6800. So go with something like the 9600pro, the 9800pro or 5800. You will see an increase in performace, and you wont be wasting money.

To find out your wattage you look on the side of the psu. There is a sticker that tells you the watts and the amps on each voltage rail. You will need a good psu for th 9800pro.

THe 9800pro runs HL2 on my system very nicely. And any other new game you throw at it.

Upgrading another 256 ram will give you a little more in performace, you might just want to add 512 instead. But the best thing to do it to upgrade all three. Video card, processor, and ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom