Question about high CPU usage

pat_ai2009

In Runtime
having problem with CPU it seems... when I try to encode or burn a movie my cpu usage jumps to 95-100% and my cpu temp at idle is around 43-50c and jumps to 85-100+ on load ( hw monitor ) .. I took the heat sink off n re-coated thermal paste correctly dusted everything off inside tower..

my computer at first was encoding and burning fine.. then it comp started to shut down that's when I started looking at temps n such... been all over google n cant figure out wtf to do.. any help please would be greatly appreciated

has to do with my CPU over heating.. CPU is hardware... ?? ok so its normal that it uses 100% thanks ... any help with my temperature ?

Need to know your hardware to give a more informed answer to your question. Yes, it's important because right now it could literally just be anything.

It's normal for transcoding to use 100% CPU. Less CPU usage means transcoding takes longer.

ok what would u like to know.. quad core q9550 2.8ghz 8 gigs of ram , NVidia gforce 8800 gts ... anything else u need ill try my best to get

He already said he did that.

Are you using the stock cooler? Make sure that it's making proper contact as sometimes those pins can come loose and the HSF doesn't make good contact. As Patonb said, those temps are too hot for that CPU.

For that quad core, that is very high temperatures.

Since it is older you probably just need to redo the heat paste on the cpu.

I agree with paton on this also, sounds like you got abit too much thermal paste or grease on it.

Apply thermal paste like below.:

. .

. .
Put the heatsink on turn it left and right a little so the grease will spresd it a little.

Make sure the intel heatsink pegs are in rhe socket otherwise "you will have heat issues if loose.

Put the cpu fan wire on cpu 3 prong wire, wait for 5 minutes for the grease to settle.
Turn it back on boot to the bios screen if you can and check the system tempatures.

ARCTIC MX4 Thermal Paste - 4gram - Newegg.com

Last edited:
May be you want to try the liquid cooling thing .. i heard that one is good if you have to work on some serious hardware.

Back
Top Bottom