Buying a new gaming laptop, Suggestions?

Newegg.com - MSI GT Series GT70 2OC-065US Notebook Intel Core i7 4700MQ (2.40GHz) 8GB Memory 1TB HDD 17.3" Win 8 Multi-language

IMO, I'd look at MSI before anything else for a gaming laptop. I'm completely satisfied with the GT780DX I have - has played everything from Skyrim to AC4: Black Flag for me so far on High.

The MSI I linked has same CPU, better GPU, same amount of RAM, 17.3" instead of 15.6" screen, same size HDD, backlit keyboard.

The MSI also has a Fanbooster setting that I use on mine during gaming, which cranks the exhaust fan to max to help keep it cooler during gaming, instead of worrying about auto-fan control.

Newegg.com - MSI GT Series GT70 2OC-065US Notebook Intel Core i7 4700MQ (2.40GHz) 8GB Memory 1TB HDD 17.3" Win 8 Multi-language

IMO, I'd look at MSI before anything else for a gaming laptop. I'm completely satisfied with the GT780DX I have - has played everything from Skyrim to AC4: Black Flag for me so far on High.

The MSI I linked has same CPU, better GPU, same amount of RAM, 17.3" instead of 15.6" screen, same size HDD, backlit keyboard.

The MSI also has a Fanbooster setting that I use on mine during gaming, which cranks the exhaust fan to max to help keep it cooler during gaming, instead of worrying about auto-fan control.
This is definitely a BIG deal and something most people overlook. I certainly have a problem with heat on my Toshiba due to not being able to control the fans.

This is definitely a BIG deal and something most people overlook. I certainly have a problem with heat on my Toshiba due to not being able to control the fans.

Exactly. Had this issue with my Asus G73 because it has auto-fans, and never kicked in high enough. Always had to elevate it, and then have a fan blowing underneath it when I played Skyrim or Borderlands 2.

With my MSI though, I just turn the fan booster on, and it's fine. One of the biggest reasons I recommend MSI for gaming laptops above others.

I believe that the cyberpower laptop actually uses the smaller MSI case. And the Hx7 series they have uses the case used in the laptop you linked me to. Do you think that the MSI is really worth the 320$ more for essentially the same components?
Edit: Well, this is more of the equivalent of the laptop you linked: http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/V-DAY_Fang_EVO_HX7

Last edited:
I believe that the cyberpower laptop actually uses the smaller MSI case. And the Hx7 series they have uses the case used in the laptop you linked me to. Do you think that the MSI is really worth the 320$ more for essentially the same components?

In Review: Nvidia GeForce GTX 780M, GTX 770M & GTX 765M - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

About a 5 - 20 fps increase for the 770m from 765m, depending on the game.

The MSI will also have a second drive bay - not sure about CyberPower. MSI has a better built-in speaker system, as well as better cooling, which I mentioned before, and a larger screen (17" vs 15").

So it's up to you if want to spend the extra money for a larger screen, better cooling, and a slightly better GPU.

Edit: Lol, that Fang Evo HX7 looks like it's using an MSI case for sure. I just can't tell if it has the cooler booster feature that the MSI has.

Last edited:
Thing to remember here is that laptop components are a LOT different compared to desktop components. Laptop GPUs you want the most power because they are literally about half the power of the desktop counterparts.

Back
Top Bottom