Not able to access bios today

Thanks for the input, ideas and experience, Mike.

So, one can buy a BIOS chip to update a board? Hmmm..........I have tried to update/flash the BIOS. As I recall when I was investigating, my version is listed as the original and there have been many revisions since. There is the note on the ASUS site that if your board is older than such and such a date the one needs to first install a converter file. I tried this by downloading the converter from the site but nothing took. Though my profile header says I am a newbie I have learned a lot since build this monster (because sometimes it has turned on me LOL). However I am new enough to be leery to flash the BIOS and was while doing so. Should I try again? Also have tried the utility to update but it just hangs there. However, in reading at the site again it mentions finding and installing the converter in the utilities of the BIOS............hmmmmmmm.............gonna look at that. Of course I have notice the utilities but have not thoroughly investigated them.

Right now money is an issue and I also want to trouble shoot to see if I get this mobo in shape to learn and save money for now. Later I may scrap this one and get a new type altogether

Thanks again,

Lane

BTW......where does one find the page to change one's level of expertise on this site? I perused and perused this morning but could not find a place to un-do the "newbie" designation in my profile to something a bit more middle of the spectrum.

I understand the feeling, yes if your asus motherboard allows the removal of the bios chip.
I personally recommend you call asus ask them for a bios chip, they will charge you for it "10.00 20.00 bucks"
If your under warrenty still, they may throw you a free one, you pay the shipping cost.
Becarefull of where you get your bios chip from if its 3rd party based not by asus. :/
Make sure the programmer has a strong reputation on making good bios chip and not alot of negative feedback by others.

BIOS Chip Asus P9X79 Deluxe | eBay

Pre-programmed bios chip for P9X79 Deluxe

If the bios chip still does not work, beg asus tier 3 technical support for out of warrenty suport.
Depending on the issue they may help you or not, depending on what they may have in stock for mobos. :)

Thanks Mike and guys Actually I did find a replacement at the ASUS eStore with the up to date BIOS. 15 buck plus shipping total $27 . Be here in a few days. Have also noticed an associated slow boot time (recently, it had booted much faster in the past) and hoping the new BIOS will remedy this issue. Hoping will stabilize the USB ports too.

One thing strange though (since this is BIOS related), I disabled all boot-able devices in BIOS except the SSD with Windows 8.1, the HD storage drive and one disc drive to see how much quicker it would boot and post..............it won't boot. Get the message to select boot order (which I did, left SSD as the #1 option) or insert a disc. I have to enable every option to get it to boot. What may be the trouble there?

I'm not Mike, but Windows 7 and Windows 8 have a tendency to place the boot file on another drive other than the drive your windows is on (the ssd) Re-connect your other drives and you should get your pc to boot into windows. You can also try a repair option to get the boot files on the C partition, I'm not that familiar on how to do that with Windows 8 at this time, but you'll need to disconnect all of the drives except the windows drive and I think you'll need to do some type of repair option

I'm not Mike, but Windows 7 and Windows 8 have a tendency to place the boot file on another drive other than the drive your windows is on (the ssd) Re-connect your other drives and you should get your pc to boot into windows. You can also try a repair option to get the boot files on the C partition, I'm not that familiar on how to do that with Windows 8 at this time, but you'll need to disconnect all of the drives except the windows drive and I think you'll need to do some type of repair option

Should be the same as Win7.

How To Write a New Partition Boot Sector in Windows 7, 8, or Vista

There's also this if that doesn't work: How to repair the EFI Bootloader in Windows 8 | fixedByVonnie

Back
Top Bottom