Beeping sounds on Power up

power1

Beta member
the symptoms are that sometimes I hear random beeps coming from the computer case during start up, and often I have to start it a few times before the computer successfully boots. How can I trouble shoot this problem?:(

What's the pattern of beeping that you hear, i.e. short-short-long, etc.? Also, do you know what brand of BIOS is running on your system? When you start it up, go into BIOS/Setup, and there should be a brand name somewhere there (Award, Phoenix, etc.).

Short one long beep

At this point the screen is blue and it will not boot to check BIOS

Last edited by a moderator:
I just tried to turn it on to give you the BIOS info, and it was one long beep. nothing on the screen,

This is embarrassing I'm a first year IT student at IADT and I was unable to find an answer in my Comptia A+ book under trouble shooting

Last edited by a moderator:
It may be RAM failure. What you can try doing, is taking out all of the sticks of RAM from the computer.

Then, install 1 and try and power on. If it boots, that stick is good - if not and gives the beeps again, it's bad. Then try the other stick(s) if you have multiple one at a time, until you find the bad stick(s).

Also, is this a custom built PC or a pre-built? If custom, what are the specs? If pre-built, what brand/model?

The A+ book is going to be generalized and may not have the answer. That's why I just go straight to Google ;).

Good evening, got it to come on Bios version 786f2 v01.04 last updated 1/31/2008

It is telling me ROM.cab missing or corrupt?

Whats next? You are right the text book is very generalized :eek:

Is this an HP machine?

Did you attempt to update your BIOS before this started happening?

I was trying to update it/ repair before I dug into it. I'm going to check the power supply. Disconnect all the power cable to the components except the motherboard. If the fan starts then I know it's not the PSU, fan, or motherboard then I will check the memory. sound good?

Back
Top Bottom