Computer blew up?

fallenapples

In Runtime
It sounds odd. But I accidentally hit my power bar, when I flipped the switch back on the computer made a big crackle sound and I saw a flash. I immediately turned on the switch. I smelled a burning sent. I opened up the computer. Everything seems fine. How can I check when wrong and what precautions should I take?

Track down where the smell is coming from and check if you can see any blown/burnt components on the motherboard.

Most likely the PSU blew. You can track it down by smelling the components and wherever the smell is the strongest is most likely the candidate.

It's a solid gear 550W. I was running a gts 250. I am terrified to touch ay components. My back psu is a solid gear…is there any hope for revival?

If a component blew, then you'll have to replace it, simple as that.

Track down what component went out and replace it.

Does the system not power on anymore, or does it seem to work? If it turns on still... I'd still track down what component may have been damaged and replace it to prevent future issues.

I saw sparks and turned the power bar off immediately. I have not attempted to turn it on a again, as I am afraid it may electrocute me!
Everything looks in tact. What about the cpu? it's a 95W running in a 95W mobo

Last edited:
I don't know about the CPU, because a blown PSU can take out various parts. You'll have to see exactly WHAT was blown. If something was blown, you'll probably be able to smell burnt electronics - track down the smell where it's coming from.

Try turning the computer on and see what it does. I'd unplug your HDD's though, so it doesn't take those out (if it already hasn't).

But many times, in fact thousands on times, I've turned off the power bar and turned it on. And I have never had to that kind of issues. I've done with all types of computers mostly HP. So why now, on a name brand PSU would this happen?

probably a voltage surge fried it when you flipped the switch on......it happens.
Maybe you should just leave the power on. You'll get better life out of your cmos battery that way too

Back
Top Bottom