Question About Assembly

Byxorna

Solid State Member
In a week, the final component I need will arrive and I'll be ready to assemble a computer for the first time in most of a decade. Two questions have come to mind that I'd like to figure out in advance rather than on the day of.

1. What's the proper way to test components while assembling? I can plug everything together and hope it fires up, but that leaves a lot of troubleshooting to do if something isn't working correctly.

2. How important are antistatic pads and wrist straps? I was planning on assembling the machine on a wooden table above a tile floor. Potential for disaster, or safe enough to do?

1. Assemble it and troubleshoot if necessary. That's really the only way to do it with a whole new slew of parts.

2. That's the best way to do it. The rest aren't really that important. Just touch the metal part of your case before grabbing any new hardware.

In a week, the final component I need will arrive and I'll be ready to assemble a computer for the first time in most of a decade. Two questions have come to mind that I'd like to figure out in advance rather than on the day of.

1. What's the proper way to test components while assembling? I can plug everything together and hope it fires up, but that leaves a lot of troubleshooting to do if something isn't working correctly.

1.Install the motherboard place it on the mounting screws or pegs provided inside the case.
2.install the cpu with a heatsink that comes with it
3.Install one stick of ram
4.Install the hard drive first.
5. check your connectors and psu switch wires on the board.
WIth the case panel open, hit the power button, it should bootup with no issues with those minimal components.

If everything checks out, install the next items and power it up to be sure the machine still boots up.
Learn that the hardway after building a socket 478 intel pc. :)
Then again I question till this day if the components were faulty. :/

Good luck with your build

Alright, glad to know I won't need to pick up any special testing or antistatic tools. Thanks.

Alright, glad to know I won't need to pick up any special testing or antistatic tools. Thanks.
Yea. I mean all the precautions are not a bad thing, but not really all that necessary either.

Another thing I personally get flack for is the use of a shop vac to clean my PC parts. Been doing it for years without issue and with the little cleaning kit I have for my shop vac I can really take the caked on dust off hard to get places.

Just don't put the motherboard on top of the anti-static bag's outside. The point of an anti-static bag is to dissipate static charge across the outside surface of the bag.

I got yelled at by my oldest brother for doing that when I first started building :lol:.

Typically what I do is pull the board out of the bag and with the other hand toss the bag aside and put the board on the foam ontop of the box.

Typically what I do is pull the board out of the bag and with the other hand toss the bag aside and put the board on the foam ontop of the box.

Yup, that's what I do as well. I usually keep the bag and just put it back in the box though, in case I need to send the board in for warranty.

Back
Top Bottom