External HD issue

chara33

Daemon Poster
I have an external HD and made an image of my partition using acronis true home 2014 and it worked fine. When It was done, i wanted to see home much space it backed up. Normally I see the drive it uses (usually E) with the external HD name.

I added a new printer and drivers to it so I figured I would do another image so it would include it. Today when I plugged my external HD it said (E) local disk, which is not correct. The same thing when I attempted to do another image normally i see (usually E) with the external HD name.Today i saw my external HD it said (E) local disk, which is not correct. When i attempted to do an image I kept on getting different error and the image never worked.

What would coz my external HD to read that way when I plugged it in? Is the something I can do to the External HD so it will read the type of EHD it is, IF so, how plz?

thx

ED: same results on 2 different PCs and 2 different USB cables.

when i try to open it It says

E:\ not assessible

The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

Last edited:
Have you tried running a chkdsk /f /r on the drive?

Open command prompt as admin > chkdsk E: /f /r

It may say it cannot lock the current drive, and ask to run on next reboot. Type Y and hit Enter, then reboot and it should scan the drive.

tried this:

C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk /f E:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is SignatureMini.
Corrupt master file table. Windows will attempt to recover
master file table from disk.
Windows cannot recover master file table. CHKDSK aborted.

Canrage, Is that much different then the command you recommended?

thx

tried this:

C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk /f E:

Canrage, Is that much different then the command you recommended?

thx

Yes... You need to run:

chkdsk E: /f /r

Note the "/r" That flag will attempt to repair the disk. If it doesn't work, let me know.

Here you go:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
(c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk E: /f /r

C:\Windows\system32>

thx

It's possible that the drive is going bad - or at least the external enclosure controller is going bad.

Is the drive under warranty still? If not, can you pop the drive out and hook it directly up to your computer to test if it's the drive or the enclosure?

Also, what brand is the drive?

IMO, I would attempt to boot off of a Linux LiveCD, and see if it recognizes the drive plugged in. If it does, then back up any important data off of it that you can, just in case the drive is indeed going bad.

Edit: looks like the Signature Mini line is a company owned by Western Digital. I'd see if their diagnostic tool tells you anything about the drive: http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=612&sid=3

Last edited:
As always, Thank you very much for helping me Carnagex. So far i did a quick test on it and it passed. Doing an extended 1 now which could take hours. I will post back the results.

Back
Top Bottom