How to lock down XP with gpedit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

muradtalukdar

Baseband Member
How can I lock down XP so that a user can only use one prog and do nothing else. I still want the admin to be able to do everything but want one user to be only able to access a few things. The workstations won'tbe on a network so using a domain controller is not in the running.
Thanks.

becasue your not using a DC. yuou can't use GPO's cause it would apply to the whole machine. I think anyway, i remeber trying somthing liek this awhile ago... if i were you i would set perms on the "program files" for only "adminstrator" and "deny" on that perticular user.. and have seperate DIR for that users one prog and have the fefault perms on that.. hope this helps.. give us an update, i'm curious..

Thanks Mate. Had the feeling it might be the case becaue whenever I created a new group in Computer administration and then used gpedit the settings were effective across every user. How can I set the program files permissions?
Maybe I could get some thrid party software? There are going to be twenty pcs in our training room all running the same version of custom software which is the only thing that the users will need to access....I just don't want any smartasses to try and run anything but the program they should be using.

i can't tell you axactly how to do it casue i'm using Linux at the moment, but it is simple. Right click on the folder>Properties>security> and in here, deny rights for %user%. This will be a pain in the ass wiuth 20 users.. but it should work. You should invest in a version of Server.

Hah! Thanks mate--I'd love it if the boss would okay another 10000 for a server/win2003 too ;-) Just spent 30,000 on the pcs and periphs...nothing else is coming this way for a long time.......cheers for the knowledge....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom