New gpu problem

That's a curios one, Your card works in your friends PC fine but not in yours but his works in yours fine right. Are they both using the same power connectors, I know the 660 uses a lot more power than the 630 does, Just looked and the 630 doesnt need the power cables that the 660 does, My guess is it isn't getting enough power, Your Corsair PS should have plenty but need to confirm the 6 pin connector is giving it power, Maybe try using the adapters for the video card plugged into the 4 pin molex instead of the cord supplied for it on the PS, That would at least tell you if that plug is the issue or not. I SO hope you get this up and running after all the trouble it has given you,

Dauntae

Last edited:
That's a curios one, Your card works in your friends PC fine but not in yours but his works in yours fine right. Are they both using the same power connectors, I know the 660 uses a lot more power than the 630 does, Just looked and the 630 doesnt need the power cables that the 660 does, My guess is it isn't getting enough power, Your Corsair PS should have plenty but need to confirm the 6 pin connector is giving it power, Maybe try using the adapters for the video card plugged into the 4 pin molex instead of the cord supplied for it on the PS, That would at least tell you if that plug is the issue or not. I SO hope you get this up and running after all the trouble it has given you,

Dauntae

I will try the adapter tomorrow, though it didnt work on the old mb. I doubt that it is a power issue because the card was getting enough power before to play games on high load, unless somthing has changed now. I have also read to try with 1 stick of ram, will try that tomorrow also. Is it possible that the card isnt getting enough power when the fans are spinning? Also my radeon that came with the pc works too. Shame I do not have a different card that requires a power cable to test.

Those cables can sometimes be pretty tough to push in. I stress to make absolutely certain that they are ALL the way in. Plastic to plastic. Also check to see if any of the individual cables aren't loose in the connector itself. A bad connection could cause it to work fine before but not now.

Another thing to try which makes things ridiculous is your machine, your GPU, his PSU. If your machine with your GPU boots up fine with no issue while using his PSU then it is a power connection problem from your PSU or the PSU is faulty itself.

I will try those things suggested now, and if there is no luck I will try his psu in my machine on thursday hopefully.
EDIT: Unsure if this was clear, I did not have to download anything, reinstall windows or even re-activate it, the pc just booted up straight away with the new mb. Just wont boot with the gpu.

Last edited:
I took out one stick of ram and pc booted with the 660! Now how do I get both to work?
EDIT: Monitor goes to sleep for about 5s after the windows loading screen, right before the login screen.

Last edited:
Dont mean to sound rude but I haven't heard an answer back from you guys in a while, are you out of ideas or too busy? Do you want me to still try those other things you suggested with the power even though using one stick of ram allowed it to boot?
Still cant believe how much trouble this seamingly simple upgrade has caused...

I've been watching the thread but not sure what would cause the need for one stick of ram but watching to learn a little more myself, Really odd problem, Only guess I would have is bad ram but why only not working with the 660 installed.

Yeah very strange problem, I guess I will try each stick of ram in each slot incase is it somehow bad ram. I seem to be getting all the strangest, most unkown issues :/. Have been asking around other forums to see if anyone else knows the answer.
EDIT:On a side note: Any idea why my fans are running much faster than before? Temps are sitting at under 35 degrees celcius yet I have never seen the fans go below 2000rpm. I have set the fans to level 1 but they are still loud. They stay at 2000+rpm even when the pc is at idle.

Last edited:
Alright I am honestly speechless. I thought I better try booting up the pc with both ram sticks again and bam - it booted normally. Can confirm that after restarting it still works, 4GB ram usable. Seems like my computer decided that over a month of trouble was enough for now (I got this card before xmas).
Would just like to give a HUGE thanks to you guys, you have been amazingly helpfull and have put up with my stupid questions and worries very well.
Thanks again, will update if the problem arises again.

Back
Top Bottom