Problem With my Graphics Card!!! Please Help

bjwphneb

Baseband Member
Recently built my own computer with z87 Extreme4 motherboard and Asus Readeon R9 280x Graphics Card.
when i went to install my graphics card drivers an error message kept coming up saying 'Please install VGA cards of asus.' i went to check my system browser in the bios and according to that, my pci e slot is empty when i can see through the side window my graphics card in place, with fans spinning and led's lit up. i have taken it out and inspected it but all seems to be fine, i have made sure it is fully pressed in and the cap is on but nothing seems to be working for me.
Is this a fixable problem or do i need to replace my Graphics Card??
Any help is appreciated, Thanks

Do you have the MOBO PCI -e "enabled" in the bios set up ? I believe this has to be done when you boot up and get into the bios that way ( pressing F5 or F8 - depending on the motherboard) before windows screen - not thru the browser. Have you downloaded/updated the Bios, directX, etc. - usually the drivers/software that comes on the CD with the MOBO are old.

Does the PC boot up and work well without the GPU installed? What CPU are you using?

I am just learning to help people - others will chime in that can give additional help.

yeah i have it all enabled in the bios, pressing f11 on start up. i have all the windows updates, haven't got all the motherboard updates yet. i have intel i5-4670K cpu. and i am on the computer now and the gpu isn't installed or so the computer claims. so yeah it works fine for doing standard computer stuff but when it comes to games it won't be able to run on full graphics as it will only be running on the crappy onboard graphics card. i'm going to try installing it into a different pci slot to the one i have it in and see if that has any affect.
cheers for the response though

Sounds like the problem is in the mobo not "seeing" the graphics card = PCI slot is not enabled - even though it says it is. Are you using the Intel software that is supposed to allow you to use the on-board graphics and a separate graphics card at the same time - if yes- then disable it and maybe the system will now "see" the graphics card. Also if using WIn7 - check in the my computer/ system properties/ device manager - to see what drivers are installed, chip set is installed, etc. If your using Win 8 - then I cannot help in this regard as I know nothing about win8 .

Are you connected to the on-board graphics when you try to install the Graphics driver? If so you need to connect to the GPU for displaying. If you connect to the on-board graphics and not the GPU it may be acting as it is not installed since it is not be used. Try booting with only being connected to your GPU and not the on-board.

Does the card show up in the bios? Do you have the power plugged into the GPU? The card will get enough power from the pci-e slot to run the fans and appear operational, but it needs supplemental power to actually power all the way way on. Near the back end of the card are two power slots that need to be connected to fully run.

Last edited:
There are two power sockets on the gpu. One 6 pin and one 8 pin. I've tried it with both plugged in I've tried it with just one plugged in

Z87 extreme4 motherboard
Intel core i5-4670k CPU @3.40Ghz
8GB of ram
Windows 8.1 os
Asus Radeon r9 280x gpu
Seasonic 620w PSU
1tb hdd

Back
Top Bottom