New gpu problem

Alright thanks, I guess I will just see what happens. I have done some research on this and some people are saying you have to buy a new os, some are saying you can just contact ms support and others say it works without doing anything... Very confusing. I will look into the link you sent me, thanks.

I was not able to find the windows disk that comes with the pc (If there even is one, it has been a while). If I get a BSOD what would I do with no cd? Sorry for all the questions.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/win...-digitalriver-windows-7-sp1-13-languages.html

Download the ISO for the version you have. Get the x64 (64 bit) version. Burn the ISO to a DVD using software such as IMGBurn using the "Image to Disc" option.

You can then use the key you have on the sticker for your system.

After installing you will need to activate. If internet activation fails you will need to call Microsoft via the phone number provided by the activation window. It will ask how many PC 's it was installed on, just say 1.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TechForums

This is a really ****ty time to run out of internet. I wish NZ would catch up with the rest of the world on internet data caps.. I will see what I can do, thanks a bunch for the help.

Can I put personal files (music etc) onto the usb after I put the ISO onto it with the program?

If you're wanting to install Windows from a USB drive, then you'll want to use this with the ISO, instead of IMGBurn:
Microsoft Store

I would wait to put personal things on the flash drive, because that tool will format the drive, then extract the Windows files on it for it to install from.

After you get Windows reinstalled, then you can delete all the content (or format it, whichever) and put whatever you want on there again.

If you're needing the flash drive to back up personal files from your current install... then you'll want to either: a) get another flash drive, b) burn the ISO to a DVD with IMGBurn, or option c) would be to be what's called an "in-place upgrade".

On the install options, if you select your hard drive without formatting it first, and click Next to install, it will say that it found a previous version of Windows, and it will move everything from the old install into a "Windows.old" folder on your C: drive. If you do that, then you don't necessarily need to back up your files because you can just go into that Windows.old folder, and move your music/pictures/documents/etc over to the new Windows directory. Note: you CANNOT transfer installed programs.

After you moved everything over, you can run a Disk Cleanup, and it will remove the Windows.old folder to free up space.

Now, remember, you'll only need to reinstall Windows if you get a BSOD after switching motherboards. If you don't get a BSOD, you don't need to reinstall.

Thanks for the help. Although I am a little bit confused,
"I would wait to put personal things on the flash drive, because that tool will format the drive, then extract the Windows files on it for it to install from."
Are you saying that when I boot my pc from the flash drive, it will format it, or just when I install the iso onto the usb? I was intending to just install the iso then transfer the files over afterwards, as long as that wont affect the windows install?
Thanks for the help guys, cant thank you enough.

I was intending to just install the iso then transfer the files over afterwards, as long as that wont affect the windows install?
Thanks for the help guys, cant thank you enough.

Ah, I misunderstood how you meant.

Yes, you could do that as well if you wanted. Easiest thing to do would just make a folder in the root of the USB drive, and then put all your files that you wanted in there.

So I have installed the motherboard and windows started up normally with no gpu in. However when I put in my gpu it gives me a black screen - no signal. The pc boots with my friends GT 630 and his computer starts with my gpu in it. Also when I boot the pc with the 660 in, there is no signal from the motherboard either. What is the problem?
EDIT: Also the fans in my pc go at full speed as the computer starts, and dont slowdown untill I open the ASrock ATXU program and adjust the speed. Even then the fans are still quite loud(over 2000rpm browsing the internet). Not sure if this issue is related or not.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom