Not able to access bios today

canusa53

Baseband Member
Hey Folks,
Having a bit of a go here. Went to dive into BIOS today and suddenly cannot access it. Have not had any trouble with this up til now. Have hit del key, F2, F1, mashed the keyboard, tried a different USB keyboard (use a wireless Logitech MK700 with mouse ongoing). Nothing. System build is attached. ASUS P9X79 Pro Mobo is the focus however. Like I said, no prob in the recent past. Accessed it the other day.

One strange thing did happen the other night. Went to access to check on SSD with old install of Windows 7. Was gonna nuke it overnight to make a clean install of Win 7 to use along with recent upgrade to Win 8.1 on new Adata SSD. It booted that OS without being prompted, updated, then shut down. It was late and I was tired, so I went to bed. No hurry was gonna do that later.

Thanks for any help here.

canusa

Attachments

• System Specs - Copy.pdf
    65.3 KB · Views: 4
Hey Folks,
Having a bit of a go here. Went to dive into BIOS today and suddenly cannot access it. Have not had any trouble with this up til now. Have hit del key, F2, F1, mashed the keyboard,
canusa

Could you please tell me if anything appears on the screen or not ?
If so what comes up on the screen, does it lock up while posting ?
If it does not show anything on the screen, did it give out a beep code ?

The only reason why I am asking you this, its kind of hard to make sense of where the issue is coming from your statement.

This issue is not super pressing so I have not promptly replied.
What happened is this-
Another user from another forum suggested pulling the CMOS battery. I did...it seemed it messed things up royally. I got locked at message screen that overclocking failed. I accidentally toyed with a setting over a year ago every once and a while I get a hang up and then when re- booting I get that message. I hit F1 to enter Bios and reset. F1 did nothing. I shut down, rebooted and lo and and behold............I could access BIOS!!! Viola!! However I was not ready to nuke my one SSD with Windows 7 on it and continued, thinking I could access it later.

Yesterday, I go to access BIOS and it is back to the same story. So, to answer your question, what comes up on the screen...........power up, blank until ASUS/Intel splash screen, blank, post with SSD and HD listed, blank and then right to Windows 8.1. I did unplug 8.1, it booted with the Windows 7 SSD, of course, but would not allow me to enter BIOS. I tired to update (flash) the BIOS some weeks back to update it but that did not take. Apparently the BIOS has been updated multiple times and it takes some sort of converter before a flash can done. I tried the ASUS flash utility but that does not connect with a server.

Long answer, huh?

Anyway, back to no access of BIOS, no matter what. Any ideas?

Thanks so much

Last edited:
Disconnect all bootable devices. Try to access the bios. Unplug the PC then >> If that fails reset the CMOS by removing the battery. If there is a CMOS/BIOS Jumper to reset switch the jumper. Let it sit then switch it back and insert the battery. The boot and attempt to access the BIOS. Do not reconnect your drives, since it may boot straight to the OS for speed reasons.

Asus BIOS/CMOS Reset

Last edited:
I accidentally toyed with a setting over a year ago every once and a while I get a hang up and then when re- booting I get that message. I hit F1 to enter Bios and reset. F1 did nothing. I shut down, rebooted and lo and and behold............I could access BIOS!!! Viola!! However I was not ready to nuke my one SSD with Windows 7 on it and continued, thinking I could access it later.

Your problem sounds more chaotic then a bunch of dogs chasing a cat all over the neighborhood. 0o
Try this do what bmp suggested, but turn off your machine, flip the switch to off o the psu.
Unplug remove the jumper for cmos to clear, wait about it 5 minutes, put the black jump back to normal.
Plug up your computer wait 1 minute and hit the power button.
Start out with a keyboard and mouse and nothing else fancy on it.
I should show the option to boot into bios, do so and write down the bios model number and revision if it displays it.
since your mentioned once your pc crashed because of oc setting issue.
Downclock your memory speed from 1600 -1333 or 1333-1066.
Downclock your cpu speed to a lower settings.
Example FX4100 clocked at 3.6ghz, reduce it down to like 2.8hgz or 3.0ghz.
Save your settings and reboot, if all goes well you should get the same post like you got awhile ago.

SInce all of this is relating to a windows os issue.
Make up your mind today and decide if you want to stick with windows 8/8.1 or windows 7sp1.
Once you decide on which os your going to want get the iso and do a full format.
Please note have one hdd drive connected so that BINDOWS 7 or 8 does not get confused and wont let you install because it sees too many drives.

Well, now, I sure do appreciate all the suggestions and I followed several. In so doing, it seems, I found the culprit as why I have been unable to access the BIOS. When starting with one ssd to boot, then adding each device, I found I could access the BIOS without a hitch. Had pulled the CMOS once again the hit the jumper one more time too. I then went to put my rig back together, and hooked up all the peripherals. Booted...............no BIOS. Really????

Hmmmmm....adding them back one by one. Seems as though the Razer Orbweaver is guilty. Unplug it and I can get to BIOS, plug it in and BIOS is bypassed and it boots straight to Win 8.1, as the boot order indicates. What is strange is that the Razer product (and Razer Naga 2014) has been in service on this rigs for the last few months. Now suddenly it gives a left hook? Could be the USBs? I have been having an on again/off again hitch with the USB ports not recognizing devices, in particular, however, my Logitech wireless headset. Had a devil of a time getting it synced in but did so a few weeks back all has been well.

However, why would a device suddenly hijack the BIOS?

Any ideas??

I don't why that would force the board to skip the bios. But for future troubleshooting ideas, always go as bare as possible when you are having issues. And add things back one at a time. Then like you found out through this experience, you can tell what device,hardware, ... is causing the issues.

Hmmmmm....adding them back one by one. Seems as though the Razer Orbweaver is guilty. Unplug it and I can get to BIOS, plug it in and BIOS is bypassed and it boots straight to Win 8.1, as the boot order indicates. What is strange is that the Razer product (and Razer Naga 2014) has been in service on this rigs for the last few months. Now suddenly it gives a left hook? Could be the USBs? I have been having an on again/off again hitch with the USB ports not recognizing devices, in particular, however, my Logitech wireless headset. Had a devil of a time getting it synced in but did so a few weeks back all has been well.

If you don't mind me asking how old is your asus motherboard again ?
Also is it a Intel or AMD platform and what cpu is being used.
I had 2 asus motherboards do something simliar to your issue.
But my main issue was usb ports began to short out, rj-45 jack was crippled in wind0ws 7 but works fine in XP/vista o0?
The bios chip was bag of ****, not worth shelling out 69.00+ for it and they don't know how to fix their own ****ups. :/

If Everything starts to go out and having a hard time being synced upon bootup...
I recommend you just go ahead and get a new motherboard if money is not an issue.

For AMD I recommend MSi and gigabyte, for Intel Mobos go with gigabyte or asrock.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, ideas and experience, Mike.

As for the age of the board I put the rig together March/April of 2012 and the model is the ASUS P9X79Pro with Intel 7i processor. The full description of my unit is attached to the original post.

So, one can buy a BIOS chip to update a board? Hmmm..........I have tried to update/flash the BIOS. As I recall when I was investigating, my version is listed as the original and there have been many revisions since. There is the note on the ASUS site that if your board is older than such and such a date the one needs to first install a converter file. I tried this by downloading the converter from the site but nothing took. Though my profile header says I am a newbie I have learned a lot since build this monster (because sometimes it has turned on me LOL). However I am new enough to be leery to flash the BIOS and was while doing so. Should I try again? Also have tried the utility to update but it just hangs there. However, in reading at the site again it mentions finding and installing the converter in the utilities of the BIOS............hmmmmmmm.............gonna look at that. Of course I have notice the utilities but have not thoroughly investigated them.

Right now money is an issue and I also want to trouble shoot to see if I get this mobo in shape to learn and save money for now. Later I may scrap this one and get a new type altogether

Thanks again,

Lane

BTW......where does one find the page to change one's level of expertise on this site? I perused and perused this morning but could not find a place to un-do the "newbie" designation in my profile to something a bit more middle of the spectrum.

So, one can buy a BIOS chip to update a board?

Only the BIOS chip is removable from the board - pretty much all of them are soldered onto the board nowadays, and you would have to send it into the manufacturer to get it swapped out.

BTW......where does one find the page to change one's level of expertise on this site? I perused and perused this morning but could not find a place to un-do the "newbie" designation in my profile to something a bit more middle of the spectrum.

After 250 posts you gain the rights for custom forum titles. For now, they're just autogenerated.

Back
Top Bottom