5870 Running a bit loud

ncore

Baseband Member
Hi my 5870 is kinda running loud and a bit hot and I was thinking of getting an aftermarket cooler for GPU can anyone suggest a good cooler?

I know upgrading it would be the best solution but I can still run my games on this GPU so not planning on upgrading it just yet.

Uh never tried dismantling it just been blowing the dust away really, I'm kinda scared removing the cooler.

If you're scared to remove the cooler then how exactly do you plan to put an aftermarket cooler on..... :|

Take the thing off and properly clean it and repaste it. Your temps will go down thus keeping the fan down with it.

If you're scared to remove the cooler then how exactly do you plan to put an aftermarket cooler on..... :|

Take the thing off and properly clean it and repaste it. Your temps will go down thus keeping the fan down with it.

Lol this was exactly what I was thinking...

Aha i know right, but just thought i'd be hard or something. Will do it later tonight got new mx-2 paste so hope it'd help.

Should be rather easy as almost all designs like that are the same. Some screws take the plastic shroud off which reveals the heatsink and heat plate. Should only be 4 screws behind the GPU that hold the heatsink on. You can then clean the plate and fan off of dust, then the heatsink while it's off. Use rubbing alcohol and qtips or a coffee filter to completely clean both the GPU and heatsink off of paste. Put a small grain of rice sized dab of paste on the GPU itself and carefully place the heatsink on to be mounted. That's all there is to it.

All of that is assuming you have a reference designed 5870.

Edit: Scratch that disassemble part. The heatsink, shroud, and plate all come off at the same time apparently for that card. You can refer here on what to expect. The rest is the same though.

http://www.overclock.net/t/715639/a...r-disassembling-a-reference-5870#post_9107384

Just re-applied MX-2 and dusted the heat pipe now will see how hot it will get after an hour or so of playing, so far its been 2hrs of playing already and the temp is playing around 65-70C under load.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom