Static Electricity Turns On Desktop

Dalinkwent726

Baseband Member
So as the title suggests I'm having a problem with static electricity powering on my computer. If I touch the outside of the case it will sometimes discharge and turn the system on. I have a few questions about this: one being is this harmful to my computer? My computer is grounded through the PSU which is plugged into a surge protector. The second being is this odd? Is this a common occurrence? Or might I have some sort of wire touching the case that shouldn't be? I've checked and I don't see anything out of the ordinary as far as wires are concerned.

If someone has some suggestions or help I'd appreciate it, thanks.

Does this only happen in winter, or other dry times or is it all year 'round? I would consider getting a humidifier for the room your computer is in. Although, it is grounded yes, static electricity can have an adverse effect on other parts besides the PSU. Before you touch your computer, try grounding yourself on a door handle, light switch, etc... to discharge any residual static in your body.

Yea I used to do this every year to my PC with my old DFI nF3 Ultra. I thought it was harmless, I was totally wrong. The board is now dead. Ground yourself onto something else and make sure your board is properly seated on the stand offs.

Does this only happen in winter, or other dry times or is it all year 'round? I would consider getting a humidifier for the room your computer is in. Although, it is grounded yes, static electricity can have an adverse effect on other parts besides the PSU. Before you touch your computer, try grounding yourself on a door handle, light switch, etc... to discharge any residual static in your body.

Yea I used to do this every year to my PC with my old DFI nF3 Ultra. I thought it was harmless, I was totally wrong. The board is now dead. Ground yourself onto something else and make sure your board is properly seated on the stand offs.

Nukem -Nope it hasn't happened in any other months besides winter. I've started grounding myself on a metal entertainment center I have in the room and I think my parents have an old humidifier at their house I can use I'll give it a shot, thanks.

Mguire - Checked all the standoffs and they're all seated properly. I'll just continue grounding myself before touching the case and give the humidifier a shot, thanks to you a well.

Back
Top Bottom