DVD Burners

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurph

In Runtime
Am considering the above.

Can someone explain "dual layer", is it more on a disk, is it slower, are different discs req'd, etc?

I am baffled.......

Edit: please point me in direction of an informative website...

smurph,

Dual layers are Disc which have surface that can store bits on both the sides.So this normally means more data can be stored.So you can burn data on both the sides of the disc with special burners that support 'dual burn'. A single layer DVD support 4.7 or 7 GB whereas dual layer supports around 17 GB or so..

Yes, and the access times differs according to the type of device used to read dual layer DVD's. Google should get you more on this and check the above link too. That is a good one.

i have never seen a burnable two sided disc. the dual layers i have seen are two layers on ONE side of the disc. this makes it so you don't have to take the disc out and flip it half way through the burn. dual layer is slower to burn, compare the basic 2.4x dual layer and the basic 16x single dvd standards, although i have seen a dual layer burner that burns at 4x, it is a pioneer and i saw it in maximum pc magazine, but i don't know the model number.

yeah intercodes. it's not both sides of the CD. just both sides of one side of the cd.

don't get me wrong. I think you know what you're talking about but don't get other people who don't know about this confused. It looks like a regular CD but it has a "hidden layer"within it.

geo3tech,

Yeah, thanks for the info. I have a dual layer DVD [a movie] , that is written on both the sides. I have to actually flip it and put in my dvd rom to use the other side. So I thought that the DVD-R's are similar to the one I have.. :confused:

anyz, thanks ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom