PSU power switch noise (urgent!)

Major Rawne

Baseband Member
When I turn the power switch on my PSU to "ON" it makes a weird sound. You have the normal "snap" of a switch being turned but sometimes it makes a sound like some kind of discharge/jolt. It's not much difference (at first I thought it was nothing, just the switch being a little weird) but it is weird.

I've got the Corsair TX750 and its brand new. It only happens when the PSU power chord is plugged in and it only happens once (so if I flick the switch on and off a couple of times it doesn't happen, but when I leave it on off for a twenty minutes and then turn it on, it does make a sound). When I switch it to off, pull out the power chord, wait twenty minutes or so and then plug the chord back in and turn it on, it also makes that sound. It does not make that sound when the power chord is not plugged in when I flick the switch.

Other than that, there's no issues with the PSU. Brand new, doesn't make any weird noise when it's running and it doesn't smell. I'd like to know what is wrong (if something is wrong) so I can fix it asap. I need that PC for work-related reasons. The PC can still run and work fine but I'm just worried there might be something really wrong...

@OP: what you're describing sounds more like the connection being made. I.e., if you plug in the power cord with the switch already on into a PSU, it makes a "snap" sound because electrical contact is being made between the PSU connectors and the power cable. Not sure why it would be doing it when switching the PSU on with the power cord already in it though - sounds like something internal is making the electrical contact.

@Carnage: it doesn't make the sound when the switch is on "ON" and I then plug in the chord. It only makes that sound when flipping the switch (with the chord plugged in). It also doesn't make that sound after the first switch (so if I switch it back & forth it won't make a sound). It takes about 20 minutes on OFF before it will make that sound again upon switching it to ON.

So if it is a connection being made, should I use my warranty and send it back?

Like I said, it's probably connection being made / capacitors getting their first charge. If you let it sit powered down, the caps slowly drain power down, and then would need recharging again.

I wouldn't worry that much about it, but you could always give Corsair a call and see what they think - they should know their products and could tell you if they think you need to send it in for warranty (it's under warranty still I assume?).

That's good to hear! It's still under warranty, I got it about a month ago. I think the Corsair GT750 comes with a 2 year warranty (6 months covered by the shop, so during those months they would take care of sending it back to Corsair and getting a new one). I was just concerned about my other parts.

I think I'll give Corsair a call though.

Back
Top Bottom