dual channel RAM vs 2 of the same RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newbie_KB

Solid State Member
I am building a computer. My mobo is an Asus A8V Deluxe Via Socket 939 ATX, which is dual channel.
My question is, what is the difference in buying dual channel ram vs just two of the same?

I can find two 512 mb for $59 each ( after rebates) or one dual channel pack for $160.

Also, what about brand? PNY vs Kingston vs Mushkin vs Corsair etc.

I am looking for a total of 1 gig and a memory budget of about $180. This computer isn't a all out gamer's computer.

Thanks,
KB

EricB said:
as long as the ram is the same, you can use it in dual channel mode

Exactly.

Buying two of the same sticks of ram is the same as buying ram that is labeled dual chanel. Dual cannel has nothing to do with the actual ram sticks themselves; just the motherboard and how the ram is connected to it.

Wait till DC price comes down
Yeah there is no 'DC' RAM to wait on in the first place. When you see low latency kits they are just tacking on any information to possibly up the price. So not only is it high performance ram they says it's "DUAL CHANNEL!" RAM too, which all that means is those two particular sticks have been tested and are guaranteed to run in DC as long as your motherboard and CPU support it.

You can buy one stick now, and one stick of the same down the road and DC still not work, sometimes it's a gamble when buying two sticks of valueRAM at different times. Sometimes DC will work, sometimes it won't.

Most reviews however, agree that the performance increase created by ram running in dual channel is minimal.

they're probably marking it as "Ideal" for dual channel, because of higher speeds and what not, but like stated above, there is no real dual channel, its a MBD feature that allows this for DDR.

dual channel is property of motherboard chipset, not RAM.s this is another marketing campaign of memory manufacturers. any 2 same DDR's works well as dual channel.

corsair has some problems showing up whats inside, I have been using Kingston since start, so will recommend it.

So they are pretty much just marketing it as dual channel for a little extra cash? Punks! The bran dthat I was really considering is PNY. I know they make decent other stuff, but not sure about RAM.
Also, do I need to get some sort of heat spreader? Some kits come with this while others do not.

KB

You don't really need heatspreaders for your 3200 but it would help .

I don't think they raised the price just by saying it's "dual channeL" i believe those memory sticks are better. If you're comparing a value ram( your $59 each) to a "dual channel" labeled ram(bout like $130each ), there is a significant difference in their quality and speed. well,, like miliseconds but they do add up. Don't get it wrong, they don't just jack up the price for no reason, there is a reason why it is so expensive. Because it's that much better so you shouldn't really just go and say they jacked up price for no reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom