I want to build a mini it system

keirannshepherd

Solid State Member
I have a budget of 650$ to spend on a mini it system
Since I want the system running all the time 24/7 I need a really low power consumption but as well as high power
I don't want to do gaming on this PC I built a gaming PC last year I want this PC for running game servers
And pleased don't tell me to buy a server I already have one and they suck when you buy it :(

I built one pretty much like you want last year for about that. The only negative is mine only has 8GB RAM. I'd say push that up to like 16 you'd be fine :tongue: Well I spent 500, but after you factor in your 16GB instead of the 8 I linked it'll probably get up there.

Case + PSU: Amazon.com: Silverstone Tek SG05BB-450-USB3.0 ALL Black Plastic/SECC Mini-ITX Computer Case with SFX 450W 80+ Bronze Certified PSU with 2X USB3.0 Front Ports Cases (Black): Computers & Accessories
Motherboard: Amazon.com: MSI Computer Corp. DDR3 1066 FM2 Motherboard FM2-A75IA-E53: Computers & Accessories
SSD: (could be replaced by a decently sized HDD): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ZWLRSU/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
RAM: Amazon.com: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 Memory Kit for Core i3, i5, i7 and Platforms SDRAM CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9: Electronics
Processor: Amazon.com: AMD A10-5800K APU 3.8Ghz Processor AD580KWOHJBOX: Computers & Accessories

If I were you I'd spend the extra and get 16GB if you plan on hosting servers. If possible get 32 :tongue:
I host a minecraft server on mine primarily (mc.ifargle.com / mc.freebuilders.org) as well as basic ssh / ftp / samba, etc.

Okay thanks mate I will try and get 16gb ram and this would hosts easily host a mc server and I also got told to use Linux

I haven't seen very many hiccups when hosting my server.
You really won't get lower power consumption with a Minecraft server.. It's pretty demanding.
Power consumption si about half my desktop though at max power (850 vs 450W) so.. I'm happy :tongue:

EDIT: Also, do you have any experience with Linux? Do you plan on running it on command line only? with a GUI? Do you have experience with the command line?

I run Debian 7 on my server.. Haven't use a GUI on it since my Mint days :tongue:

Last edited:
I Dont see the point in having a beefy IGP in an APU for a server. For low power consumption I'd suggest a haswell i3 or i5. If you aren't hosting game servers the i3 is more than plenty.

Edit: Just noticed the mc server thing. Yea much better off with an i5. Much more power than the APU.

I Dont see the point in having a beefy IGP in an APU for a server. For low power consumption I'd suggest a haswell i3 or i5. If you aren't hosting game servers the i3 is more than plenty.

Edit: Just noticed the mc server thing. Yea much better off with an i5. Much more power than the APU.

I agree. Sometimes I regret getting the AMD chip :tongue: its a repurposed HTPC though

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom