PC randomly freezing

I'm having trouble running memtest. I've tried using Memtest86 and Memtest86+ by using the autoinstalller for USB, but when I put my USB as first boot priority, my computer just starts up as normal.
The freezing is still happening unfortunately. Just recently my computer kept freezing for a few seconds consistently and my mouse pointer sort of disappeared. I did notice that every time it froze my CPU usage would jump to about 47%.
Hope everyone had a good New Year by the way.

Burn memtest to DVD and try that, some USB sticks are not supported for boot depending on some brands of mboards and sticks I believe, it is the only reason I found off top of google search as to why it wouldn't boot from the priority selection you made.

Happy new years to you aswell!

edit: Also something important for certain sticks/mboards:
Format USB stick with either FAT 16 or FAT32, NTFS is not supported.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice zeke. In the end the USB somehow worked and I ran Memtest for 3 passes with no errors.
Still no idea what is causing the problem. The freezing is still occurring, and like I mentioned before, now my PC stops responding for a few seconds and CPU usage spikes, before returning to normal. I might make a new thread as I'm not sure whether these are separate issues.

Still haven't fixed it...A couple of times I've restarted my computer to find no boot device is being recognized. I just fiddle around with my SDD cables and it goes away. Could my SDD be the problem? I've used Seatools to scan it and no problem has been found.

I installed a new Sata 3 cable yesterday to my SDD, and unfortunately it hasn't helped. Computer just froze twice in a row.
This is so frustrating, no idea what's causing it. Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom