Put On Arctic Silver, but sitll readin same temps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATI-M

Baseband Member
Ok I just got a new CPU fan, the coolermaster jet 7 made for 3.2 ghz and up.......and I put it on right, but...my cpu temp still reads 45(on bios so it may not be reliable)

I put it on how the website said(in a circle) it's a tad bit thicker than normal but that wont hurt it will it? if it's a lil thicker?

but it's not like going to destory my CPU is it, I mean it's not like super thick, I did the recommended, maybe just a tad more though?

AS is very think i woudl recommend reapplying it. Ive got that cooler and its rubbish, just a warning. wish i bought a thermalright

Also keep in mind that AS needs time to set up, your temps may go down a few degrees in a week or 2.

Yes it needs time to "set-in" before you notice a difference.

But realistically, you might not get a temp difference at all. If you were using REALLY bad thermal pad or something then yes, you should see a temp drop. But AS5 compared to my "generic" goop i see 0% temp change.

I still prefer AS5, but don't expect a change in temps if you were using a different brand at first. If you do see one it will probably only be 2-5C at most.

Yeah, and put the stuff on according to the website. You want it closer to thin than you do thicker, that'll just mean it has more goop to try and transfer the heat from. If you got a fairly good and smooth heatsink then you want a paperthin layer of compound on there. And like everyone else and 4W has said, it takes 'burn in' time, if you read their instructions it's like 200 hours, not just put it on and boom temps change.

Generally you won't see any change in temps, though. Like 4W said, , 2c-5c at the most, and a 5C drop would be pretty good just for putting on compound

The only way to see a better drop would be lapping the HS and processor. Even thou I own AS5 I still think its overrated.

Also, you should let the compound fall out the sides of the die/heat spreader, its like an insulator then.

Joeisalsocool said:

Also, you should let the compound fall out the sides of the die/heat spreader, its like an insulator then.

negative, AS5 is said to be not conductive, but i don't want anything that's 95% silver on my connections.

And yes, thin is in. Spread it as thin as you can as the only thing it does is fill in very small scratches between the CPU and HS. And it will take about 1 month to fully set. I put a thin thin layer on my CPU and i got 8C drops over the course of a month or 2, now i never hit higher than 46 when i used to hit 54

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom