Help with Windows 7

DoctorFeuer

Solid State Member
Hello,
I've just spent most of the day upgrading/building my pc, and everything seems to be working. I was told by a friend that if I used my hard drive from my previous computer, which had windows 7 installed on it when I bought it, I would be able to use that same windows on the new computer. When I go to launch my new computer, the motherboard screen comes up, then proceeds to the windows screen. After a few seconds of saying "Starting Windows," it will flash a blue screen (too fast for me to read what's on it), and will revert back to the motherboard screen (the screen where I could open the BIOS).

My question is: is there any possible way for me to use my old windows installment and not having to go out and buy a new windows disc?

Extra info:
My old computer was an HP something or other.
The upgrades I have just put into this one are a new processor, mobo, and case.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Only if you have Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate - they support hardware migration.

Since you swapped the motherboard/CPU, you'll have to do a fresh install by either: a) formatting the drive and installing completely new, or b) installing "over top" of the existing install, or c) using a different HDD to install onto

If you're doing option a) then you'll need go back up all your files. Option b) would move all of your existing files into a WIndows.Old folder on the C: drive of the new install, and you could copy your data over to the new install directly from the same drive (just a different folder) and make it a bit quicker. Option c) is obviously starting over with a new drive.

If your old pc had an OEM copy of windows on it you are gonna have to buy a new copy.

OEM windows binds the OS to the motherboard of the system it is installed on. Normally OEM is used for store bought computers.

OEM serial keys normally contain OEM in them.

If I were to purchase windows 8 from the microsoft website, how would I install that on to the new system? Would I have to use a flash disk? How much space do I need? A walkthrough would be appreciated.

Either you would buy a physical copy, or a digital download. If you do the digital download, you can download the ISO and either burn that ISO to a DVD, or put it on a flash drive (minimum of 4GB size), and you can install Windows that way.

To put the Windows ISO on a flash drive, use Microsft's USB tool:
Microsoft Store

Back
Top Bottom