Upgrade advice

Spud5437

In Runtime
Hi guys, I'm after some advice.

I'm thinking of upgrading my system to leave it able to play some games though nothing high-end. My brother in law likes to come and stay here and is a huge minecraft fan and wants to play star trek online on my computer when he stays. Mine crate just about plays ok but when I tested star trek online today is was unplayable due to it stop starting all the time and looking like **** also. I'm sure this is down to the fact I don't have a graphics card and my processor may also be leaving me below an acceptable standard.

My question is what do you guys recommend to enable my computer to play star trek online at the highest(or near to) settings? While these may not need much to run I do want at the end of the upgrade to be able to play most games even though I don't see them being played – don't want to spend money on a half assed job. Budget is around £300/$500 but I would be happy to keep it below that.

My computers specs are in my signature and an extra note is I will also need a power supply to power the new card as the stock power supply is very low.

Thanks for all the help and I'm looking forward to all your suggestions.

Last edited:
Thanks you guys for the advice - i will go with the modular on the PSU for the ability to save a little room.
As for the graphic card, I have no real problem spending the extra £90 for the GTX 760 - my only question is will my processor be able to make proper use of what seems like a really good card?

Yea, the Corsair TXM is the better deal. I thought it said 69 rather than 59.

Yea your processor will be fine. I have a Q8200 machine sitting in my hall that I've put my GTX 580 in and it ran things fine. Nothing special, but was fine.

Back
Top Bottom