New gpu problem

No problem, no need to rush anymore because I have a working card, just takes a bit of setup to boot the pc lol. And yeah I wish I could go back in time and tell my past self not to buy a prebuild pc, because it is never worth it.

I'm not finding much on this model of HP other than the HP site, In the trouble shooting section it has a issue that your monitor is blank and gives some things to try, One is either update or reset the bios in case you accidentally changed something LOL Well it might be worth a try, This is how they say to do it on your PC without the monitor working. I'd suggest you put the 660 in and try this so it detects it's there and opens the port for the 660 and not the on board. To see which version bios you have it should say someplace in the bios but sometimes can be hard to find but it's in there, Also read all you can when going into the bios, It may flash which version when it's starting.

Reset bios version 7 or greater

1. Turn on the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key for eight seconds.
2. Press the Down arrow three times.
3. Press the Enter key two times.
4. Restart the computer.

Reset bios version 6 or less

1. Turn on the computer and repeatedly press one of the following keyboard keys. Press the key about once every second for 5 seconds after turning the computer on.
For HP and Compaq computers that came with Windows 7 or Windows Vista, press F10 .
For HP and Compaq computers that came with Windows XP, press F1 .
For Compaq Presario desktop computers built prior to 2002, press F10 .
2. Wait another 5 seconds.
3. Press the F5 key. This restores the default settings of the BIOS.
4. Press the Enter key. This accepts the changes.
5. Press the F10 key. This saves the changes.
6. Press the Enter key. This saves the changes and exits from the BIOS.
7. The monitor should display the first screens received from the computer (the logo screens). If not, find and download the latest BIOS update if one is available for your computer.
8. If a BIOS update was not available or the monitor is still blank, continue to the next step.

This is the website that has a bunch of things to try also if the BIOS doesn't get it going.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...egory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5256619#N298

Last edited:
Tried that with no luck. Things I have noticed is that when I unplug the monitor and start the pc, the power light goes orange and the computer beeps 6 times with the orange light flashing. It then starts up, and beeps occasionally for a few minutes before finally starting up. Not sure what it means.

I've seen this bug fixed by clearing the bios even when no bios setting change would fix it. Easiest way to clear the bios is to remove the small watch battery from the motherboard, then let it sit for 5-10 minutes unplugged. There's usually a jumper to clear it...but easier to just remove the battery on most motherboards.

Still same issue, no change. Execpt now I have a new issue - I am unable to connect to google/youtube on any browser, it is giving an SSl Error "cannot connect to the real google.co.nz". And the windows update feature is unable to connect. What is causing this issue? Just great to have another problem to deal with ontop of all this..
EDIT: Nevermind just had to update time/date and it now works fine.

Last edited:
I was just going to say that sounds like a virus messing with you, just had a repair that had one similar, Stopped the boot up and when I got it to boot up it corrupted only certain things but other things worked fine, Only thing I can think of you doing is a fresh install of windows with your 660 installed and maybe it will set it right. Out of ideas without actually digging in myself on your system.

Dauntae

Yeah that is the last resort thing I would do though, I might take it somewhere to get looked at. Thanks for all your help.

So after searching around and asking other people including gigabyte and HP, I still have no solution. The best suggestion I have gotten is to buy a new motherboard, from another forum - "OEMs don't like you changing the hardware specs of their pcs. So the way to go would be a new mobo."
I am not willing to accept this as the solution yet, because I can still boot my pc and use it just by unplugging the monitor. But just incase, I need a suggestion for what motherboard I would buy to replace my current one.
HP Pavilion p6-2175a Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP® Support

Also I have been told that I do not need to reinstall windows if I get a new motherboard, but I have read that the OS is tied to the motherboard because my machine is a prebuilt HP. Not sure what is true.

Pre built usually has the registration number tied to the MB, Before you start changing parts just try the fresh install of windows, not the repair option clear the HD in case it's got something corrupting files on it, Do the fresh install and see if it works because if you did get a new MB you will need to do a fresh install of windows there too. Your HB might even have a recovery partition on it, Really easy and free so what have you got to lose and it just might fix the issue.

Dauntae

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom