New gpu problem

Go into the control panel and make sure the inboard video card is disabled then shut it down and put the monitor cable on the new card

I did that and it just gave me black screen with the monitor plugged into the gpu. I then plugged the monitor into the IGP and it worked then. When I went into the device manager it said the 660 did not have enough free resources. I then went into bios and disabled the IGP and plugged into the gpu, back to the same issue

Not enough free resources??? That used to be a issue on the older windows but I've never seen it with windows7, Do you have any other cards installed like a phone modem or anything like that, is so take them all out and try the video card and if that works install one thing at a time after you have the video card installed, hopefully windows will assign a different resource to them.

Well the exact error message is:

"This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system."

And I do not have any other cards installed.

That's a odd one, Try going into control panel and disable any and all things NOT needed to boot up, Ethernet audio and anything else, Some things are set to a particular Irq and some can take different ones and one of them may be holding one the Video card wants so once you have them all disabled and you can get the video card working then enable one at a time and windows should assign them any free ones.If anything wants the one the video card has you will know what is causing the conflict. I have not seen this issue in a long time.

Just curious, this PC does have windows 7 correct, if it's older and has windows XP it would make more sense to see this issue.

I am going to need some help because I do not know which ones I can and cant disable.
The tabs for the devices are:
Bluetooth Radios (I disabled that)
Computer
Disk Drives
Display adapters
DVD/CD-ROM drives
Human interface drivers
IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
Imaging devices
Keyborads
Mice
Monitors
Network adapters
Portable Devices
Processors
Sound,video and game controllers
System devices (A lot under that tab)
Universal serial bus controllers
WSD Print provider.

Those are all the tabs and I can see some obvious ones to disable but others I am not so sure
EDIT: Yes it has windows 7 64bit

Last edited:
Alright I have gone through and disabled the ones I think I can:
Bluetooth Radios (I disabled that)
Computer - all enabled
Disk Drives - all enabled
Display adapters
DVD/CD-ROM drives - disabled
Human interface drivers - Not sure, there are a lot under this tab - All enabled.
IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers - Enabled.
Imaging devices - Disabled
Keyborads - Enabled
Mice - Enabled
Monitors - Enabled
Network adapters - Will disable all
Portable Devices - Disbaled
Processors - Enabled
Sound,video and game controllers - All disabled
System devices (A lot under that tab) - All enabled
Universal serial bus controllers - All enabled
WSD Print provider - Disabled.

So just a few that I am not sure about, also what happens if I disable something that is required for startup and restart?

Back
Top Bottom