titan cooler on gtx 780

Nagasama

disgruntled ex-moderator
Nukem and I have decided that a titan cooler will indeed fit right onto a reference 780 (by photos)
I have found one that I can use to paint/mod so I don't trash my warranty (no more green led in my red and black case YAY)
Any dissenting opinions?

Double check to make sure that MSI is indeed reference. Look very closely at the power circuitry for any small thing that may be a mismatch compared to the Titan circuitry. It'll work, but some cards can be slightly different which can go unnoticed. THe 780 and Titan do share the same board though, so in theory it'll work easy. Most water blocks made for the Titan also work on the 780.

That won't work. Reference style coolers have a plate that covers all the components and has the blower fan attached to this plate as well. If you have the gaming MSI it uses a completely different heatsink that will not fit with this plate or under the reference blower shroud. That being said, you have to compare YOUR MSI cards circuitry to that of the TItan shown in the pic, not compare it to the reference design 780. The reason being is because MSI could be using a different revision which could deviate from the design shown above as the reference 780. If it does and you try strapping that plate to the MSI 780 and it doesn't 100% match you could crush a component.

That's why I said previously to check your card over closely.

This is actually reason #2 why I always buy reference cards. You know for sure it's reference and can plan accordingly with upgrades to cooling. No guess work.

Here is a pic of the 780/Titan cooler tear down.
normal_nVidia_GeForce_GTX_780_17.jpg

I thought the card you got from the dude was the MSI Gaming 780. My mind is screwed right now. Maybe I should give forums a break for a week or something.

Ha I thought it was a gaming Ti, that's what he had it listed as.
Further investigation revealed it to be an MSI reference 780.
I paid 425 for it, which essentially saved me 100 bucks over the gaming 780
Which I thought was a pretty good deal.
Tbh I may just eBay it, get (most of) my money back, and buy the gaming card.
Why?
I don't know. Because it's the one I really want and I'm a rather obsessive person at times.

Back
Top Bottom