Need help with a stable oc, Sabertooth z87 and i5 4670k

erick123

Baseband Member
Hey everyone!

I am looking for some numbers for a stable oc :)

16gb ddr3 4x4gb
i5 4670K
Sabertooth z87
2x gtx 760 sli
500gb ssd.

Any links to numbers used would be awesome.

I'd be more than happy to send you $20 (paypal) for a helpful link!

Every setup is different. General OC for Haswell (highly dependent on cooling) is about 4.5 or so. You just have to experiment because no numbers are exact for any setup. Gotta do it the hard way like everybody else. And like always, OCing those chips is highly unnecessary.

Every setup is different. General OC for Haswell (highly dependent on cooling) is about 4.5 or so. You just have to experiment because no numbers are exact for any setup. Gotta do it the hard way like everybody else. And like always, OCing those chips is highly unnecessary.

Haha, I'm stupid when it comes to that.

In the past I just searched forum for good numbers and entered them.

I have a phantek 140mm cooler.

Intel God's "Quick & Dirty" OC Guide to 4.4Ghz with Haswell - Intel - Overclocking

Just like it says. Quick and dirty.
It will also give you a baseline of what your chip will do.
FYI I have quite a bit of (non-haswell) overclocking experience and this is the guide I will use first off. If my kids ever leave me alone long enough to fire the new beast up lol.
And also FYI haswell is fast enough that likely nothing you do would require it to be overclocked, but sometimes...you just gotta do it. Just to see.

Intel God's "Quick & Dirty" OC Guide to 4.4Ghz with Haswell - Intel - Overclocking

Just like it says. Quick and dirty.
It will also give you a baseline of what your chip will do.
FYI I have quite a bit of (non-haswell) overclocking experience and this is the guide I will use first off. If my kids ever leave me alone long enough to fire the new beast up lol.
And also FYI haswell is fast enough that likely nothing you do would require it to be overclocked, but sometimes...you just gotta do it. Just to see.
Yea I say that because Sandy is fast enough without an overclock. Haswell is 10-20% faster than Sandy in most applications.

I thought BF4 might use a good OC, but I get no difference going from 3 to 4.4. So, no point in the heat and power consumption for 0 gain IMO. But I understand some just want to experiment. I just wish those that wanted to OC properly learned how rather than wanting people to toss things at them. Back in the day it didn't work that way and getting a good solid OC was hard. I miss those days. When RAM speed and FSB was relevant lol.

Totally dude.
I just overclocked my old x2 3600 that I threw into my office pc and I'm like "wtf htt?"
LOL
yep.
I will OC my 4670k just to see if I hit the lottery, but I really really doubt that I will leave it full tilt. More of an experiment. If it gives me 10+ fps I m ight leave it. But I'm preeeeety sure it will brush aside any game I put to it on stock.

Totally dude.
I just overclocked my old x2 3600 that I threw into my office pc and I'm like "wtf htt?"
LOL
yep.
I will OC my 4670k just to see if I hit the lottery, but I really really doubt that I will leave it full tilt. More of an experiment. If it gives me 10+ fps I m ight leave it. But I'm preeeeety sure it will brush aside any game I put to it on stock.
Yea you won't get 10+ FPS increase unless you had more than one card. Even still, 5 at best. BF4 with my turbo off runs 40% CPU at the max with GPU at 99%. It happens to be one of the most CPU intensive besides some RTS games.

Yup. I figured that much. I havent seen fps increase from overclocking since the old Athlon x2 days. My yorkfield quad maybe I got 2-5fps increase from stock to 3.6, and it still couldnt process my sli 460s enough to peg them. As long as my 780 is at 99% with the haswell on bf3/4, I'm a happy camper. I have A feeling I won't be disappointed.

Just so you know, making the 460s run both at 99% is probably impossible because scaling on the first Fermi set wasn't the greatest. I had dual 465s in my i5 setup running at 4.2Ghz and even then the games and drivers at the time couldn't make both cards run full fledge. The top card would usually run 90% while the bottom was stuck around 75%. I upgraded boards to the eVGA P55 FTW 200 for full 16x slots but still same issue.

Although, overclocking my Q8200 did increase FPS in BF3 a great deal but its stock clock is rather low. The heat output was just crazy though. But any modern CPU will be able to be left stock for gaming for years probably. I don't see that really changing for a while.

Back
Top Bottom