Installing New MB, CPU,Memeory

Runfox

In Runtime
My wife's old computer MB died . It was old, MSI, socket 939, CPU was an old AMD Athlon 64X2, so it was time for a new build anyway. So I ordered:
MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 FM2 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD A8-5600K Trinity 3.6GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 100W Quad-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 7560D AD560KWOHJBOX
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ

All from New Egg. She only uses it to surf and play Big Fish games so the integrated graphics will work fine for her.

So my question is how should I go about the install of this new MB, CPU, Memory into the old case when I hook up her old main hard drive with WIN 7 on it? Since the hardware has changed Ill have to reinstall WIN 7 right?

Runfox said:
Since the hardware has changed Ill have to reinstall WIN 7 right?
Yes, you will have to. If you can with another comp and hard drive, backup her files (like the user profile) then restore them once the OS reinstallation is finished.

Backup the important files and such, and before you reinstall, just try booting into Windows.

I've had it work several times for me switching to different computers (once took an install of Win7 through 3 different laptops lol - all had very different hardware - went from Pentium based to C2D based then to an i7 based laptop). If it boots up and installs all the drivers for the hardware... then you're good. You'll just have to reactivate and install some missing drivers specific to the machine. Otherwise if it gives a BSOD, you'll have to reinstall.

Moving such a great distance in platforms I highly recommend a fresh install anyways.

Which is why I just said give it a try to see if it works ;).

Usually only works on Win7 Pro and up though. If it's Home Premium it won't migrate.

Which is why I just said give it a try to see if it works ;).

Usually only works on Win7 Pro and up though. If it's Home Premium it won't migrate.
I was saying either way if it does or doesn't he should simply due to the fact that he's going from a platform from 04/05 to a platform from 12/13. The difference in drivers and setup is completely different.

I was saying either way if it does or doesn't he should simply due to the fact that he's going from a platform from 04/05 to a platform from 12/13. The difference in drivers and setup is completely different.

Like I said in my previous reply, done it before.

Went from a Compaq with Pentium dual-core (around 06-era I think), to a C2D-based Lenovo, and then finally to an i7-740qm Asus. Very different platforms/architectures.

But yes, it is better to do a fresh install to avoid any possible bugs.

Like I said in my previous reply, done it before.

Went from a Compaq with Pentium dual-core (around 06-era I think), to a C2D-based Lenovo, and then finally to an i7-740qm Asus. Very different platforms/architectures.

But yes, it is better to do a fresh install to avoid any possible bugs.
But not straight. S939 with probably an era matching GPU to FM2. No telling how long that install has been on there.

Thanks guys, I'll back her main drive up on my comp, then do a reformat/ fresh install , yeah the old Athlon CPU was way slow, and even her big fish simple games locked up the comp sometimes, so this should be much faster!

Thanks guys, I'll back her main drive up on my comp, then do a reformat/ fresh install , yeah the old Athlon CPU was way slow, and even her big fish simple games locked up the comp sometimes, so this should be much faster!
Night and day difference. Earlier this year I was playing with my old OCed X2 3800+ with 3GB of RAM. Even with a 2.9GHz OC it was balls slow doing even basic tasks.

Back
Top Bottom