partition ssd?

It doesn't matter either way. No spinning parts, ect ect. If you want it to sleep that is fine, will come back up much quicker but kinda pointless if they will keep waking it up.

sleep is like pausing a movie. It keeps everything running, but at minimal power. Think of like closing a laptop lid.

hybernation saves all data and "shuts down" using zero power. It resumes your session upon powering back on.

Sleep suspends activity in RAM while powering down the rest of the machine or as above stated like closing a laptop lid.

Again as above for hibernation suspending that RAM to disk so all parts shut down like you hit the power button.

Even though no explanation is needed. Just follow the SSD guide here on TF besides the utility part and it's a simple command to turn hibernation off and free up 8 or 16GB worth of used space on your SSD.

That 840 Pro comes with Samsung Magician software that will set your ssd settings for you in 3 different modes. Maximum Performance, Maximum Capacity and Maximum Reliability. Run the software that came with the ssd disk, or download the latest version from Samsung for your drive and your good to go

I use a 60GB SSD for OS and main programs, and a 120GB for games. 750GB HDD for other programs/data, 1TB HDD for downloads, 3TB HDD for media. It is a kickass setup for my needs.

I never use hibernation or sleep. I leave my rig running 24/7 and just turn off my monitors. My comp doubles as our home media server.

Too bad Windows doesn't let you move the hibernation file to a different drive. I use hibernation on my laptop all the time - and I have 2 drive bays. Although capacity is another issue for me, since my laptop is my primary computer nowadays.

Been thinking of just getting a hybrid drive to get near SSD speeds, and keep high-capacity.

Too bad Windows doesn't let you move the hibernation file to a different drive. I use hibernation on my laptop all the time - and I have 2 drive bays. Although capacity is another issue for me, since my laptop is my primary computer nowadays.

Been thinking of just getting a hybrid drive to get near SSD speeds, and keep high-capacity.
Just get one of those WD Raid squared deals.

Just get one of those WD Raid squared deals.

Been looking at SeaGate's hybrid drives.

Seagate Solid State Hybrid ST1000LM014 1TB Laptop Hard Drive - Newegg.com

Interesting to see that WD is taking a slightly different approach with hybrid drives.

Either that, or I could just get one of those ODD drive bay converter and put an SSD in there, then have 3 drives, and just put the ODD in an enclosure and use it as an external if I need one. Too bad I don't have mSATA slots :(.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom