partition ssd?

Nagasama

disgruntled ex-moderator
Sorry fellas if this is wrong section.
Quick question:

Gonna start overhaul tonight probably, wondering if I should create separate partitions for OS and data on the Samsung 840 pro 128gb drive?
Or just keep one partition and install what I'm going to install into program file folders.
Nothing on ssd except OS, bf3, bf4(when I buy it, probably will replace bf3 at that point), titanfall when it comes out, and a few choice programs (origin, my gaming controller software, browsers, and probably nod32 and malwarebytes and a few other small ones I can't think of atm).
Opinions?

I'd say leave it alone. 128 doesn't go far. I have a 120GB in mine :tongue: I put the basic apps on it... Chrome, Steam (not the games, just the program), Origin, Photoshop, etc etc. Small apps. Making room for TES:O though. :tongue:

That's kinda what I was thinking. Don't really see the need to split it up like a tb data drive. Plus installing all games/apps on c drive will make removal much easier than I have it now.

Install a second SSD instead of partitioning it. It is worth the extra dough.

Install a second SSD instead of partitioning it. It is worth the extra dough.
Not really. I have 2 120GB SSDs in my machine now and it's rather pointless for myself, and probably for a lot of other people with the same general usage.

I have 8.1 Pro, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 12, stream software, FRAPS, UltraISO, MSI Afterburner, Chrome, Firefox (testing), GRLevelX, Teamspeak, Origin, Daemon Tools, LGS, Handbrake, Corsair SSD Toolbox, Guitar Rig 5, DC++, Raprt, Softperfect RAMDisk, Xfire, Acronis, ConvertXtoDVD, CuteFTP Pro 9, Office Enterprise 07, MorphVOX Pro, VMWare 10, and VSphere on my main SSD right now.
I only put my Vertex 2 in for Origin games and the only game I will probably play is BF4, so I tossed the rest of that library on my 3TB and put BF4 on my Corsair SSD along with AC4.

Considering 99% of all Valve/Steam related games don't really take advantage of SSD throughput I keep that 400GB folder on my 3TB as well. This was a test run to see if I could have almost everything I use on my main SSD while retaining the two games that use the speed on it too and take the other one out. Because beforehand I used to toss over half that list on my 1.5TB where the secondary Program Files (X86) is. I would say the majority of people who visit this site could toss almost everything they use on a 120GB SSD while keeping exceptionally large games and programs on a seperate HDD and be fine. If your productivity suite is much larger, I advise a larger SSD.

For anybody who records gameplay, I advise you do that on a HDD as recording to the SSD may cause stutter in the recording.

Yes, I have around 4tb of 7200 rpm drives that I use for storage.
So I'm not planning on putting more than 2 games at a time on ssd. Not a whole lot if time to play anyways these days, so I'm sure I will only want bf3 then bf4 and titanfall on the ssd.
My c (os) drive right now is about 60gb, but I have a few duplicates on it and I can do some prettty substantial paring ti make it even smalller.
Im thinking I would need ~45-50gb for two big modern games.
Which would leave me plenty of space for os and my oft used programs. Even if. I ran short I could go down to one game on ssd. Definitely want the bf on there and titanfall. But I could live with only one. I've used 7200 rpm drives thus far so it wouldnt really bother me to continue.
Or, I may buy an evo 120gb if they go down to 85 bucks or so.

Like I said, Titanfall isn't going to need to be on an SSD. BF4 an SSD is necessary as it's literally the difference between 30-45 seconds or 2 or so minutes each map change.

But I mean I have the majority of what most people use all compiled onto my SSD at the same time minus like CAD or other 3D type programs. I still have about 50GB free to work with too.
One thing you need to make sure you do is disable pagefile and hibernation.

Oh that's right I remember you told me that about titanfall.
Pagefile and hibernate off, AHCI on, right.
What about S3 suspend/resume? Or do I have to have everything set to where I have to hard power on/off each time?

Oh that's right I remember you told me that about titanfall.
Pagefile and hibernate off, AHCI on, right.
What about S3 suspend/resume? Or do I have to have everything set to where I have to hard power on/off each time?
Nah the power is fine, you don't need to fiddle with that unless you want to.
Pagefile, more specifically hibernation wastes space on your SSD equal to that of your RAM. So for me, 64GB of RAM = 64GB of SSD gone right off the bat. No way man! :eek:

Ok so as long as I just have display turn off, all good right?
I forgot I don't really use sleep anymore because rugrats are always grabbing my mouse and stuff. So usually comp is off, have display go off in like 5 minutes when idle. I just don't want the hard drive to shut down, correct?

Back
Top Bottom