PSU works in a PC and doesn't in another!

aimo3

In Runtime
I have 2 PCs and 2 power supply units, PC1 & PC2, PSU A & PSU B (both ATX standard with SATA connectors).

When I put PSU A in PC1, the PC works.

When I put PSU A in PC2, the processor fan works, but monitor light remains amber with no display!

When I put PSU B in PC1, the PC works.

When I put PSU B in PC2, the PC works.

Whey doesn't PSU A works with PC2? I've tried disconnecting parts and putting them back, but could not get PSU A to work with PC2!

Depends on what kind psu is.... would be easier if u list what pc1 and pc2 have and brand and watts of each psu.

Can you give some specifications

PSU A = ?W
PSU B = ?W
PC1 = ? cpu ? gpu
PC2 = ? cpu ? gpu

The most likely situation is PSU A is less Watts than PSU B, and PC2 has a bigger video card (aka gpu)

PC1 is NEC PowerMate VL6

PC2 is NEC PowerMate ML450

PSU A is USMPS500D - 500 W max. (standard ATX size)

PSU B which works in both PCs is FSP220-50LD - 220 W max. (non-standard ATX size)

Neither of the PSUs is original (from the manufacturer) in any of the 2 PCs. The original PSU of PC2 is FSP250-60GEN - 250 max. (standard ATX size). PC2 works sometimes with it, which makes me suspect it has an intermittent problem.

BTW, WRT the max. output, I did not use all the connectors of a PSU in testing. I only used the 2 mainboard connectors, and if the PC works, I check once again with the HDD connected in addition. I repeated the test several times.

Thanks.

Hmm, even if the 500W was degrading it wouldn't drop so low to not power it.

Is it possible you miss plugged the 2nd pc in? Just didn't seat the 20pin or 4pin in correctly, or possibly dislodged the RAM?

PC1 is NEC PowerMate VL6
BTW, WRT the max. output, I did not use all the connectors of a PSU in testing. I only used the 2 mainboard connectors, and if the PC works, I check once again with the HDD connected in addition. I repeated the test several times.

You see this:
atx-4pin-molex-39-01-2040.jpg

Make sure you plug that in, the port can be located right by the cpu and ram socket.
Also it would be good to have you're system specs so we can know what you're dealing with.

I ran in to something similar a few years ago. My Enermax 1100 would not work on my old x58 evga motherboard. But....after sitting on the shelf for 3 or so years it's working perfectly fine in my current build.

Is it possible you miss plugged the 2nd pc in? Just didn't seat the 20pin or 4pin in correctly, or possibly dislodged the RAM?
I did it more than once and was pushing both connectors making sure they were really in. And then did it again before answering (my previous reply).

I also did the RAM. What a strange problem! :(

@ MikeTech, thank you for being so expressive. I did everything I know.

I did it more than once and was pushing both connectors making sure they were really in. And then did it again before answering (my previous reply).

I also did the RAM. What a strange problem! :(

@ MikeTech, thank you for being so expressive. I did everything I know.
Hmm I'm abit puzzled by your statement, if you think the PSU A works please attempt this.

Remove any memory from your computer, start out with a hard drive, mouse and keyboard connected.
I want you to hit the power button, it should come on and beep at you constantly.
That indicates the system cannot find any ram, "MOTHERBOARD" is working.
Nexr put in one slot of ram, and hit the power button.
Please note what the nachine does, it should come on and turn on the screen.
If not it maybe the ram that is at fault if not test the other.

If you have some time, look inside your case today and read the model or serial number located on each component.
Those can be cd/dvd drive, hdd, "psu" memory and mobo if the white serial number is present.

Back
Top Bottom