Arctic Silver on stock CPU fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATI-M

Baseband Member
Im planning on removing the thermal pad inbetween my 2.8 celeron andit's retail heatsink and replacing it with arctic silver 5.doyou thinkthis is a bad idea? or it will help?

I mean will it even work?
and what can I use to get rid of my thermal pad that came with it

I highly doubt that your celeron is really even running that hot to worry about replacing the thermal pad with thermal paste, but if your like me, when i know there is a better cooling solution (albeit 2-3c) I'll do it. Heres how i went about successfully removing the thermal pad and applying thermal paste:

1. With the cpu being thoroughly stuck to the heatsink by the thermal pad, CAREFULLY pull straight up on the heatsink cuz your processor is gonna come out at the same time without letting you pop up the locking lever. Straight up, no twisty twisty or your pins will be munchy munchy.

2. CAREFULLY use a small thin flathead screwdriver to GENTLY pry up the cpu from the heatsink.

3. Once the two are sperated, use a NEW razor blade to shave off any remaining thermal pad from both cpu and heatsink being carefull not to gouge the surface of the heatsink.

3. Replace the cpu into the socket relocking the mechanism. Apply a thin line (in red below) of thermal paste across the back of the cpu and using a credit card or similar spread evenly across entire cpu. Make sure no paste smears over the edges, gotta keep it entirely on the cpu, lol.
thermalpasting.jpg

4. Replace heatsink squarely onto the cpu so that there is no slipping and sliding around on it. This causes pastes to get slimed over the edge of the cpu and could cause arcing if it were to get on any circuitry. Once the heatsink is squarely on, slightly push down on the heatsink and twist EVER SO SLIGHTLY by about a 1/2 degree left then back again to close out any gaps between cpu, paste and heatsink. Lock the heatsink into place and bingo there you go.

good luck

Yeah i completly agree with Jaks. Celerons are built to process data slow so it wont lagg. So it shouldent run hot at all. If you did do that it woudlent be a bad idea, just a waste of money. After all its a celeron.

it has prescott core so it's running at about 45c before and 40 now after I put thermal grease on (AS of course)

oh btw, My BIOS says my CPU temp is 40, but like i got the intel board like monitor, and it says it's at 32, sooooo which should I believe, since 8 degrees celcius is quite alot?

Oh and I like celeron's
there good for the price

always go with the BIOS IMO. This isn't to say a BIOS can't read wrong, but generally it's going to be more accurate. Get another program like SiSoftware Sandra to read the temps and see what it gets.

I've never had to pull my processor out of the socket though, even from a stock heatsink with a thermal pad on it. It's always just popped off with about a 1degree twist and pulling it at an angle instead of straight up so it kind of pries itself off......but if it doesn't work for you and it bends something then don't blame me :D I've just never had a problem with it

Mine popped off really easy too, but I think Im just kinda goona go with bios, i say 43 C is good dont ya think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom