Nub's first build

redbull31

Solid State Member
So I'm wanting to build for the first time. I'm looking for a simple everyday use computer. Kind of like one you'd go pick up at wally world (walmart). I'm building for the experience of building, and because I REAALLY don't want windows 8.... It's not going to be some super high end gaming machine, just for daily internet use, college student uses, and a little virtual machine work. I don't tend to get heavy in virtual machines yet, maybe mess around a bit with linux ubuntu or fedora, but later down the road I would like to when I start to learn more (I'm a computer networking student). So I do want some room for upgrades. I don't have any real budget, but the cheaper the better (duh). So here's what I've come up with. I kind of threw this together so bear with me...I'm actually a little tipsy too. Christmas day people gotta bust out some good wine! Btw Merry Christmas to all

ASUS P8H77-V LE LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com
Intel Core i3-3240 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637i33240 - Newegg.com
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9 - Newegg.com
Western Digital WD Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com
Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W Continuous power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com
ASUS Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk Black - Newegg.com

I'm pretty sure that's all...if I missed anything let me know. No video card since its not a gaming rig. The motherboard does look like it has some room for improvement? 8gb ram because of a little virtual machine play. Not a big hard drive because I really don't store that much; my laptop has a 600gb drive and I have 475gb of free space after about two years of having it. A big drive would be a waste for me. For now atleast. Low PSU wattage, not many high end parts using power right? I'll be running Windows 7 of course. Is everything compatible? Besides a case, monitor and peripherals I think that's it. Thanks for any who look this over.

Maybe I am going to be corrected, but if you want to have room to upgrade in the future consider a larger PSU. If you get a good one it will last as well as give you room to grown without having to replace that part as well.

Nice build, maybe go for i5 that will give you better graphics

i5 is a cpu not a gpu. so it wont help with graphics much. But you do need a i5.
try this one
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K - Newegg.com

you need a lot stronger of a power supply. Dont be Cheap with your psu.
try this one
Newegg.com - CORSAIR RM Series RM650 650W ATX12V v2.31 and EPS 2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Also you need a good gpu even if you aren't gaming. try this
ASUS GTX770-DC2OC-2GD5 GeForce GTX 770 2GB GDDR5 PCI-e 3.0 SLI Video Card - Newegg.com

HA! I actually had useful advice! Maybe not founded in sound reasoning or experience, but still... I am on my way!

Thanks for replies guys. A few things though. Is ASrock a really reliable board? I think they're a knock off of asus? And although haswell is newer than ivy, I thought ivy was still a bit better than haswell? Last thing, is building a computer all that difficult? I keep having doubts about my abilities as I don't have all that much experience with computers.

ASRock hasn't been associated with Asus since 2009 and make some of the best boards on the market currently.
Haswell is better than Ivy.
No it's not hard at all. Just Youtube and Google for tutorial videos on how to assemble a PC.

Back
Top Bottom