ssd question

and a VERY interesting comparison here.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/12/10/hdd_vs_ssd_real_world_gaming_performance/1
i thought there would be a performance difference, actually in-game.
loading times are not important to me, although im sure it would be novel. and really dont care about widows booting in 12 seconds.
hmm.
looks like my wd blacks will remain. maybe i will get the evo when the kit is in stock at NE back at 100 or so.

How exactly is a storage device going to increase FPS......I'm not even sure why this is even a common misconception. Biggest advantage is not waiting literally minutes for BF4 or modded Skyrim to load. People with SSDs are in game before people with HDDs and I've experience this first hand. Wasted time on loading maps means wasted time not playing.

SSDs do more than just what you think. Try to remember, HDDs and even SSDs are still the slowest parts of our computer set aside from optical drives which barely get used. THe difference is in latency, not raw speed. No seek times, no moving parts. The SSD knows exactly where your file is to load it instantly. Not to mention, a lot less heat in the case and a lot less power draw. Loading things that are much more important like Photoshop isn't a complete bore or waste of time. Accidentally close it? (like I do a lot) No big deal. The comparison video in my sticky thread gives a good example just how much of an advantage they are.

Seriously, get the SSD and use it for a few weeks. Then, go back to your HDDs. You'll then notice why they make such a difference.

Edit: My apologies, I just realized this came off really rude. Wasn't meant to be, just a bad day.

Last edited:
yeah i never understood why they would equate to better game performance, which that article explains.
i have an auto notify set for when the evo 120gb desktop kit comes back into stock, its 105 + shipping (prolly 4 bucks), or at least it was...could be 125 when it comes into stock this time. and i want the bracket and migration software.
when it does, i will almost certainly buy it. if only for OS, bf3/4 and titanfall. i was just thinking i could put that money somewhere i needed it more in my system. but then i was like "ive got everything i need to completely overhaul my rig...except the ssd"... lol.

i dont use RAID
and i DEFINITELY dont have time to mess with a fresh install if their software works.
all reviews say its stellar.
but i would have to do some serious clean up because my boot partition is ~70gb.
BTW, how much will windows (7) see on the 120 after format?

One can only assume when you mention your drives as a pair "WD Blacks".

All cloning software works, well most of them. Doesn't mean it works the same as a freshly installed OS. Not to mention you're moving to completely different hardware setup.
You can download their software free from their site.

Every drive will be different. One of mine is 90GB, the other is 111GB. Depends on how overprovision is setup.

yeah i think i have four or five of them i cant remember.
interesting, didnt know you could get it from samsung but i just looked and yep.
yeah i know but im hoping to wipe my drivers and install new hardware and presto chango.
not recommended i know but you gotta understand bro time is a premium around my house.
not like before when i could re-install every few months.

yeah i think i have four or five of them i cant remember.
interesting, didnt know you could get it from samsung but i just looked and yep.
yeah i know but im hoping to wipe my drivers and install new hardware and presto chango.
not recommended i know but you gotta understand bro time is a premium around my house.
not like before when i could re-install every few months.
Same here, but it takes me no longer than 45 minutes to install Windows and all of my programs. Since I use my machine to edit and game that's a lot. Just all in how you set it up.

i cant find anything telling me the useable space after format. weird.
Because like I said, each one is different. The last 120GB EVO I did was 112GB like how mine is 111GB.

Back
Top Bottom