Windows install problem...out of ideas.

Re: Windows instal problem...out of ideas.

Ok, update time, still nothing is working properly or cleanly. After getting the OS in without a gpu I inserted the manufacturer drivers DVD and after restarting it failed with random black screens.

The USB OS install went smoothly, so to did the drivers, until I did the restart. Trying to connect to the network I get a "SSDP discovery has stopped working" error. IE wont work, comp hangs and has long delays in running programs. Another restart and this time I get "Microsoft Windows Search Indexer has stopped working" , then I get that explorer has stopped working.

Continuing on this suicide inducing road:
- Install on HDD instead of SDD: Get a WerFault.exe error that throws me into a cyclical error. BSOD on restart.
- Back to SSD on new DVD, fresh install and format: Random crashes trying to run windows update.
- On SSD with the windows .iso download on DVD: after drivers were installed got the same WeFault.exe error.

Fun times.

Well its least theres some small good news with your reply.
When I'm looking at your problem it reminds me of windows xp pro sp2 and sp3 installation issue i had in late 2005.
I didn't know what the heck was wrong until I narrowed it back to my copied disc of xp.
Apparently some files got corrupt and wouldn't copy right, even on a new dvd-cdrw drive.

Windows 7 Professional x86/x64 ISO Download | MicrosoftStore.Me
Bookmark this and use the real iso's from microsoft, digital river is good, but I rather go right to the source for the isos.
Microsoft Store
Use this if you haven't yet, never had a problm with it.
PowerISO - Create, Burn, Mount, Edit, Compress, Encrypt, Split, Extract ISO file, ISO/BIN converter, Virtual Drive, DAA File

Also use this to mount the iso and have it verify the integretity of the iso disc on virtual cd drive before installing.

Thanks, good advice. Unfortunately, that is the .iso I'm using and that is the tool I used to set up the USB.

[edit]At this point, I've used 3 different versions on 4 different DVD copies and 2 different USB sticks. The DVD copy worked fine on my other comp just a couple of weeks ago with a different key. My old original .iso has been used on a dozen installs/reformats with a variety of legit keys, never once was their a hiccup on the .iso or DVD install ntegrity. [/edit]

Last edited:

Thanks, good advice. Unfortunately, that is the .iso I'm using and that is the tool I used to set up the USB.

[edit]At this point, I've used 3 different versions on 4 different DVD copies and 2 different USB sticks. The DVD copy worked fine on my other comp just a couple of weeks ago with a different key. My old original .iso has been used on a dozen installs/reformats with a variety of legit keys, never once was their a hiccup on the .iso or DVD install ntegrity. [/edit]

You're going to hate this suggestion and me with it too but...
Mobo - ASUS maximus IV-Genz

I have a very strong feeling, your motherboard is at fault here.
You have 2 options,
1.look into getting a new bios for the mobo and see if it may fix the issue with the usb/sata controller.

2.Have asus send you a different motherboard then the one you have.
Or flat out get rid of it and use gigabyte or asrock like ppmguire would do.
All the times I've used asus mainly recently in december 2012 they are nothing but problems in the long run. :/

If you make a decision on a rma return hit me up and I'll make sure you deal with tier 3 support at asus.

Bookmark this and use the real iso's from microsoft, digital river is good, but I rather go right to the source for the isos.

Just an FYI, DigitalRiver is also "right to the source" for Microsoft as they're a software distributor for them ;).

Just an FYI, DigitalRiver is also "right to the source" for Microsoft as they're a software distributor for them ;).

So out of the blue you reply just to make the comment to me ?
Thanks anyway carnage, I already knew all of this.

So out of the blue you reply just to make the comment to me ?
Thanks anyway carnage, I already knew all of this.

Was already subscribed to the topic from my previous reply.

Was just adding onto your comment that Digital River is still coming from the source because they're an official MS Download Distributor. So the ISO you're getting from MS would be the same as getting it from Digital River.

Was already subscribed to the topic from my previous reply.

Was just adding onto your comment that Digital River is still coming from the source because they're an official MS Download Distributor. So the ISO you're getting from MS would be the same as getting it from Digital River.

Subscribed or not carnage, you "REALLY" did not have to reply with your comment.
Look back at my reply and read what I stated, since I said digital river.
I know where the iso comes from, however I did not state which url link it comes from mainly provided by msdn.

That link I gave jfen is coming right from the home front of microsoft servers.
If he wanted to, just click the link and download, no iso errors or what not from elsewhere.

Thats all i wanted him to unstand and he had no problem with that.

Thank you for understanding carnage.

Subscribed or not carnage, you "REALLY" did not have to reply with your comment.
Look back at my reply and read what I stated, since I said digital river.
I know where the iso comes from, however I did not state which url link it comes from mainly provided by msdn.

Not why you're getting defensive. I was just adding onto your comment, not trying to belittle you...

I was just stating in case other people read these posts as well, and for some reason think that Digital River isn't a legit source (which it definitely is). So stop getting so uppity like you always do with me, seriously man.

That link I gave jfen is coming right from the home front of microsoft servers.
If he wanted to, just click the link and download, no iso errors or what not from elsewhere.

Thats all i wanted him to unstand and he had no problem with that.

Thank you for understanding carnage.

Not necessarily up to the server if you're going to get "ISO errors" ... like I stated in my first reply, Chrome has issues with large downloads, so downloading any ISO from ANYWHERE would still corrupt the ISO just because of how Chrome handles the large downloads. So if he were to get it from Microsoft's MSDN, TechNET, Digital River, DreamSpark, or hell even some random blog that's hosting it.... it wouldn't matter. Would still get a corrupt download. That's not server side - that's a client side issue.

Not why you're getting defensive. I was just adding onto your comment, not trying to belittle you...

I was just stating in case other people read these posts as well, and for some reason think that Digital River isn't a legit source (which it definitely is). So stop getting so uppity like you always do with me, seriously man.

Just stop replying please, none of this would have ever came up if you hadn't replied.
Your the one who thinks I don't know what I'm talking about or know what I'm doing as tech person.
You've always been like that with me, thats why I prefer not to say anything to you in the long run to prevent a problem on this forum. :|

I'm done with this discussion.

You're going to hate this suggestion and me with it too but...
Mobo - ASUS maximus IV-Genz

I have a very strong feeling, your motherboard is at fault here.
You have 2 options,
1.look into getting a new bios for the mobo and see if it may fix the issue with the usb/sata controller.

2.Have asus send you a different motherboard then the one you have.
Or flat out get rid of it and use gigabyte or asrock like ppmguire would do.
All the times I've used asus mainly recently in december 2012 they are nothing but problems in the long run. :/

If you make a decision on a rma return hit me up and I'll make sure you deal with tier 3 support at asus.

Lol, dude I'm one step ahead of you! These errors are all on a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H. After the first batch of problems I had on the Asus I assumed it had to be a mobo thing, it was the only thing that made sense. So I picked up the Gigabyte...but problems continued. That's what's got me banging my head against the wall...NOTHING seems to work. At this point I'm just thinking I'll return the Gigabyte and sell the rest of the parts individually, move my HTPC to the garage and get a NAS for the family TV instead.

Unfortunately I can't RMA the ASUS mobo, I bought it over a year ago used...unless someone can hook a brother up! cough::cough::hint::hint :D

Back
Top Bottom