ssd question

Nagasama

disgruntled ex-moderator
Looking for advice on which ssd to get
Samsung evo 120gb desktop bundle:
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, and More!

Or
48 hour sale Kingston 240gb:
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, and More!

Both are essentially the same price. Leaning towards the Kingston for double the capacity of Samsung.
Pros and cons?
Which would yall suggest?

Also, can ssd be mounted in floppy disc mount that is in my case or will I need a bracket? Samsung kit comes with bracket I think hence the "desktop kit".

Last edited:
While the Kingston is 240GB, the Samsung is faster (540MB/s vs 450MB/s) and has a higher rated MTBF (1.5 million hours vs 1 million hours).

It boils down to what you plan on using the drive for. If just for the OS and core programs, grab the Samsung. If it will be used for larger programs, i.e. games, grab the Kingston.

I woukd like to at the very least put bf4 and titanfall on the ssd, maybe relocate bf3 as well.
Is the speed difference going to be noticeable outside of benchmarks, trot?
Bear in mind I'm coming from 7200 rpm wd blacks so I'm sure any ssd is going to be a huge improvement.

Grab the Samsung, hands down. THe extra capacity is nice but the quality of the Samsung is much better. I have my OS, BF4/BF3, Photoshop, Vegas Pro, Guitar Rig, and a few other programs on my SSD. You'll have the space. ALthough having BF3 on there is pretty pointless.

Pp why is bf3 on ssd pointless?
That's what I was wondering about...quality.
As long as I have room for bf4 and titanfall I can live with it.
Also kingston has a sandforce controller, and it seems I've seen comments about it's reliability.
Maybe by you in another build thread

Yes, although Sandforce controllers have improved greatly I still don't trust them. The EVO line is meant for reliability and speed at a real cheap price, and they hit it on the head with that.

IMO BF3 is pointless to even play when you have BF4. Unless you're going for the crappy SP, then you can toss that on a HDD. But as you can see, you can fit quite a bit on the 120.

As for Titanfall, I have a feeling you won't see much benefit in having it on an SSD. The reason for this is Source does not appear to take much advantage of the speed an SSD is capable of like many other games. BF3/4, The Sims, and Skyrim are only a few games I've noticed loading times greatly improved making them worth the waste of space.

Interesting. I don't have bf4 yet. I will wait until origin puts it up for 35 for the digital deluxe again.
That's odd I would have thought a brand new game like titanfall would use the current tech.
Hmmm I'm torn. I know the Samsung is better quality, but hard pressed to pass up twice the space for the same price...

SSDs are like PSUs, don't cheap out. Need more space, the 250GB is only what, 50 more?

Titanfall may be a new game but the engine they are using is old for backwards compatibility due to the consoles. You'll find a TON of games are this way still and that won't change till everybody moves over to newer tech and stop reusing old ****. For this reason I only keep a very few games on my SSD that I know for sure take advantage of it. My whole Valve folder is on my 3TB.

Ok, thanks for the advice. I suppose I will go with Samsung.
Don't really need it yet, but when I'm ready to buy bf4 the evo probably will be the one I go for.
Really the only reason I was asking today was that if I got the Kingston I needed to order by tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom