Windows install problem...out of ideas.

jfenwick

Fully Optimized
Ok guys, I'm hitting the end of my rope on this one, maybe some fresh eyes will help.

Hardware:
Mobo - ASUS maximus IV-Genz
RAM - (4x2)GB Corsair
CPU - 2600k
GPU - EVGA 660

So I was having problems a couple of months ago with a garage computer that I use very rarely, it's sort of made up of random parts i had from other builds and figuring the issue was due to a corrupted OS I reformatted and went to re-install Windows 7 64 again. Unfortunately I've got this message:

"Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error Code:0x80070570"

The DVD I'm installing from is burnt from a legit ISO download...so I figured it was damaged or something, I tried burning 2 other copies and still the same message.

1) My next thought was the burner...nope, not that, same problem with a different drive.

2) Then on to RAM...removed a stick and boom, install worked...sort of. I'm in the garage with no internet so I went through the phone activation for Windows and as I hit enter after finishing the code it BSOD. I tried it for a while without activating it and I quickly realized something was wrong, programs wouldn't install and I'd get random BSOD. Ran memtest on both sticks separately and both passed.

3) Ok, maybe the HDD, nope, same message on both the SSD and the 1TB HDD.

4) Now time to go deeper, pulled the CPU and replaced with a different one, nope, same message.

5) Motherboard swap...same problem.

6) Unplug all USB devices and go with just a keyboard...same message.

7) Swapped video cards...same problem.

8) install from USB...same problem.

I don't know what to do anymore...any suggestions? Win 7 default drivers maybe?

Re: Windows instal problem...out of ideas.

Ok guys, I'm hitting the end of my rope on this one, maybe some fresh eyes will help.

Hardware:
Mobo - ASUS maximus IV-Genz
RAM - (4x2)GB Corsair
CPU - 2600k
GPU - EVGA 660

So I was having problems a couple of months ago with a garage computer that I use very rarely, it's sort of made up of random parts i had from other builds and figuring the issue was due to a corrupted OS I reformatted and went to re-install Windows 7 64 again. Unfortunately I've got this message:

"Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error Code:0x80070570"

The DVD I'm installing from is burnt from a legit ISO download...so I figured it was damaged or something, I tried burning 2 other copies and still the same message.

1) My next thought was the burner...nope, not that, same problem with a different drive.

2) Then on to RAM...removed a stick and boom, install worked...sort of. I'm in the garage with no internet so I went through the phone activation for Windows and as I hit enter after finishing the code it BSOD. I tried it for a while without activating it and I quickly realized something was wrong, programs wouldn't install and I'd get random BSOD. Ran memtest on both sticks separately and both passed.

3) Ok, maybe the HDD, nope, same message on both the SSD and the 1TB HDD.

4) Now time to go deeper, pulled the CPU and replaced with a different one, nope, same message.

5) Motherboard swap...same problem.

6) Unplug all USB devices and go with just a keyboard...same message.

7) Swapped video cards...same problem.

8) install from USB...same problem.

I don't know what to do anymore...any suggestions? Win 7 default drivers maybe?

This may sound silly and simple, but could it be your installation files arent being read right by your dvd-drive or usb ?
Also which usb flash drive do you use ?
sandisk-cruzer-8gb.jpg

This is what I use to install windows vista- windows 8.
Also did you copy from a official windows 7 dvd or download this ?
If you want to you can download the iso free of charge.windows.
Where can I download Windows 7 ISO? I have a Product Key. - Microsoft Community

Microsoft Store

Google or bing for any other official retail or oem copy of 7 if you dont use ultimate.

I know you said you had your machine in storage for some time..
How dusty is your ram, you might want blow some dirt off of it or clean it with a lint free cloth.
Same goes for the memory slot, that maybe a key issue as to why its not letting you install.

Last edited:
Most likely have a corrupt ISO download. Try downloading it again. If you used Chrome to download it then try using a different browser. I've seen Chrome have issues with large downloads before.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TechForums

using a usb is the way to go.
i wipe my pc at least once a year and been using the usb for the last year and half is faster to install to. just make sure you have the usb already plugged before you go into the boot menu or u wont get a usb boot option.

Ok, thanks for the replies guys. Here is an update so far:

- It's an old Windows 7 64 bit img file I downloaded through the college. About 3 years old but I've used it before without issue. It's burnt to multiple DVDs and none of them worked with this setup...tried on a different computer to see if it was the disc/download...no problems at all. So don't think it's the download or burning that's the root.

- For kicks I'm downloading the 64 pro version again to see if it will make any difference. I'll give it a try from a USB.

- Dust isn't an issue, it was a built system and was sitting in the case the whole time. All clean, no real dust anywhere.

So some progress on random attempts. I went and got a new motherboard with onboard video, a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-Ud3H. Plugged in the RAM, SSD and DVD only. Booted up fine, installed windows fine...no issues at all, installed a couple of other programs...smooth as butter. WOOHOO! FINALLY!

Then I plugged in the 660 and things were still going ok...until I went to install the nvidia drivers... BSODs...great, problem solved, why it didn't do this before I'm not sure but the issue has to be gpu. Now the video is all wonky (no matter what source), the screen flashes horizontally with onboard going...won't download or install programs etc... Ok, so new gpu and I should be ok right? Or maybe not so much. Took the 9800gt out of my htpc and plugged it in, won't even post with that card in...only with onboard with the odd flickers and problems or to BSODs with the 660.

Back to banging my head against the wall...gotta be a gpu issue right? But even the good card isn't working in this mobo. So what...bad 660 in the original and bad pci slot on the new mobo? Could I be that unlucky?

Anyways, this is all happening as I post this, going to mess around in BIOS and see if that fixes the gpu problem with the 9800gt.

[edit]Oh, I have an identical 660 in my gym computer, I'll swap that out for this one and give a good test as well.[/edit]

Last edited:

Ok, update:

- Not the GPU, tested both the 660 and the 9800 in my gym computer and they both work fine.

- Not the install files. Tried the usb install and got BSODed.

Going back to the SSD again to see what I can try there...running out of ideas.

Ok, update:
- Not the install files. Tried the usb install and got BSODed.

Stop please, run that usb install "AGAIN" let it bsod and -TRY- to write down the error codes and bring it back.

After gong through all of this I'm putting the blame on the motherboard.

Stop please, run that usb install "AGAIN" let it bsod and -TRY- to write down the error codes and bring it back.

After gong through all of this I'm putting the blame on the motherboard.

Yeah, I knew you'd want it and of course I can't find it. I wrote it down somewhere but my office looks like a bomb went off. If this next thing doesn't work I'll go back and try the usb thing again.

The thing is...2 bad mobos? Different makes and everything? What are the odds! So I'm giving the install another chance without a gpu, that worked before and wondering if there is a driver issue.

So as of right now OS installed without issue and I'm manually installing each driver....when I got to the video ones (as provided on the gigabyte disc) it goes wonky, after the reboot the image on the monitor does this schizo shake for a second, at random intervals, and will no longer let me read the disk. So I uninstalled the driver and we're back on track with the rest. Going to get through all the drivers and leave it up and running with something overnight. If it hasn't crashed over night then we'll see what's going on then. If she does crash again I'll go back to the usb install and get that error code for you.

I just have a hard time believing my luck would be to have two mobo's crap out on me.

Thanks for the help.

Ok, update time, still nothing is working properly or cleanly. After getting the OS in without a gpu I inserted the manufacturer drivers DVD and after restarting it failed with random black screens.

The USB OS install went smoothly, so to did the drivers, until I did the restart. Trying to connect to the network I get a "SSDP discovery has stopped working" error. IE wont work, comp hangs and has long delays in running programs. Another restart and this time I get "Microsoft Windows Search Indexer has stopped working" , then I get that explorer has stopped working.

Continuing on this suicide inducing road:
- Install on HDD instead of SDD: Get a WerFault.exe error that throws me into a cyclical error. BSOD on restart.
- Back to SSD on new DVD, fresh install and format: Random crashes trying to run windows update.
- On SSD with the windows .iso download on DVD: after drivers were installed got the same WeFault.exe error.

Fun times.

Back
Top Bottom