External HDD wont show files

carloc888

Beta member
Hi Everyone, appreciate any help you can give on this problem...

I am running Windows 7 Home edition 32 bit, I have 3 internal drives NTFS format and one external 500GB drive. Cant remember the brand name but its not a major brand. One of the knock offs that was a bit cheaper than name brands.

The external was working last week but is now having problems.

If I plug it in to the computer front USB port, it is detected by Windows 7 and quickly shows on the bottom right of the screen that drivers have been succesfully installed. Now comes several strange issues....

1. Even after being detected by windows and showing up in the device manager and drivers installed, It woudn't show up in the drive list on my computer screen . I have C D E internal drives and G for DVD ROM, this external drive usually shows up as H

2. It sometimes would suddenly appear in the drive list as H but as a CD or DVD rom, which it is not. Showing 0 bytes available space or data.

3. It would show up as H drive AND removable drive but the files cannot be read. I cant get to the list of folders/files. The bar at the top of the screen keeps moving along in green until it reaches the end and just stalls.

Also, when I go to the Disk Management program in Windows 7 the screen just stalls when trying to load Virtual Disk Service. Most likely having trouble with the external HDD drive as when its unplugged, the software shows all other drives with no problem.

Ive had this drive for about 3 years with no real issues to date. I use it sparingly for data backup. I have no idea how to tell if there is an internal hardware problem or failure. All I can see is that the power light is on and some flickering of the red "drive working" light at times.

Any help is appreciated....Thank you :)

Last edited:
Strange thing happening that I just noticed. Computer is rebooting and once done, showing the 3 hard drives and the DVD-RW drive, but the plugged in USB HDD is showing as a regular fixed drive , not a Removable Drive? There is no info beside it , as in drive size and remaining space, it is coming up blank with just the drive letter. Also, if I try to click the drive properties, Windows freezes.

There is a definite problem with Windows 7 properly communicating with the USB HDD and recognizing it normally.

Back
Top Bottom