Back at it. Upgrading for Gaming.

95BlackGA

Fully Optimized
Alright, been a while since I've been here. Haven't kept up on the newest gen. technologies. Please, bare with me. Buddies have been pushing me towards getting back into PC gaming. I've had the bug for a while now, and it's about time.

I'll be upgrading (basically a complete rebuild) my current PC, that's used for nothing but media (Netflix, Blurays, music, ect.)

Media computer consists of :

• Athlon II X4 635
  • OEM AM3 Motherboard
  • 6GB Mushkin DDR3 1600 (3x2GB)
  • 2TB WD Green Harddrive
  • Zotac Nvidia 610 1GB Video Card
  • 500w Antec Basiq
  • Windows 7

Knowing these specs, I'm probably going to do a complete rebuild, after all is said and done. Upgrading this PC, as funds come available. I already have a couple parts to go into this build, but they'll eventually get upgraded also.

Parts Owned :

• 2 x EVGA Nvidia GTX 295 CO-OP 1.75GB cards
  • Fractal Designs Define R4 case

So, yeah, the GPU's aren't the big boy's they used to be, but throwing them in Quad SLI should handle quite a bit. At some point, after the must haves are taken care of, I'll upgrade these cards. The case, is a must. I've been holding onto this case for a LONG time.

So far, I've decided I'm going with the Intel Core-i7 Haswell 4770k. I'm getting a good price for it, and I'm wanting to make sure it's future proof for a while. I'm having a difficult time figuring out which motherboard to go with, as I've mainly built AMD systems, and not too familiar with Intel chipsets. I will be overclocking, at some point, also.

I still need a PSU (Prefer massive single 12v rail), RAM (can reuse, but would like to upgrade to more), HDD & SSD, CPU cooler (Would like a All-in-One Water cooler).

So, suggestions on a LGA1150 motherboard for the 4770k? Or other items, I'm still needing.

Those 295s unfortunately are not going to perform as you are hoping or expect =/
If you got maybe 250 bucks to spare, at least grab yourself a GTX 760. You won't need a massive PSU to power the quad-SLI and literally for any single or mild dual GPU setup a 650w (or Season 620w) PSU is perfect.

4770k is a great CPU, one of the best BUT I must ask what's this good price you're getting it for? Anything besides CPU intensive tasks makes it a waste if it's anything over say $250. As for a motherboard, to give you an idea of how things are these days practically all of them are the same besides a few minor differences. Obviously the higher end boards have the ridiculous amounts of PCI-E slots, SATA ports, ect but in terms of overclocking without going to subzero temps practically any Z87 board will take you to the same limits.
That being said, my go to choice of a great board for a great price is the ASRock Extreme4 Z87. My best friend has it, loves it, and also has a 4.4GHz 4770k in it under an H80i.
The B85 and H87 boards don't allow K series overclocking, but offer the same basic functionality so you get an even package all the way around. Just as a side note, no modern Intel quad or hex requires any form of overclocking and probably won't for quite some time. That's from SB to Haswell chips.

The case mixed with a quality PSU will last you eh, "forever". TX650, HX650, or M1211 620w, or even a bit extra like a X Gold 650w Seasonic. I know you said massive single, but seriously 1000w+ PSUs aren't necessary these days. A badass GPU like a single GTX 780 or R9 290x will go a long ways and you can run 2 cards like dual GTX 770s on a quality unit like an X Gold 650w. (GUy here runs a GTX 690 on an X Gold 550w easy).

RAM will be good for a while. 1600 is the sweet spot even still. If you wanted to get yourself a cheapo 2GB 1600 stick to add for 8GB you'd be golden.

HDD and SSD. For a starter package I usually recommend people the Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB, Samsung 840pro 128GB, or Samsung EVO 120GB. Great SSDs, and the EVO still has a fantastic price coupled with a Seagate 1TB for storage and large data. (Take note, there are still only a few games capable of taking advantage of exceptionally quick latency of an SSD)

CPU cooler, all I prefer and recommend anymore is AIO units anyways. H80i or H100i. If you can find one the Swiftech H220 is beastly.

Those 295s unfortunately are not going to perform as you are hoping or expect =/
If you got maybe 250 bucks to spare, at least grab yourself a GTX 760. You won't need a massive PSU to power the quad-SLI and literally for any single or mild dual GPU setup a 650w (or Season 620w) PSU is perfect.

4770k is a great CPU, one of the best BUT I must ask what's this good price you're getting it for? Anything besides CPU intensive tasks makes it a waste if it's anything over say $250. As for a motherboard, to give you an idea of how things are these days practically all of them are the same besides a few minor differences. Obviously the higher end boards have the ridiculous amounts of PCI-E slots, SATA ports, ect but in terms of overclocking without going to subzero temps practically any Z87 board will take you to the same limits.
That being said, my go to choice of a great board for a great price is the ASRock Extreme4 Z87. My best friend has it, loves it, and also has a 4.4GHz 4770k in it under an H80i.
The B85 and H87 boards don't allow K series overclocking, but offer the same basic functionality so you get an even package all the way around. Just as a side note, no modern Intel quad or hex requires any form of overclocking and probably won't for quite some time. That's from SB to Haswell chips.

The case mixed with a quality PSU will last you eh, "forever". TX650, HX650, or M1211 620w, or even a bit extra like a X Gold 650w Seasonic. I know you said massive single, but seriously 1000w+ PSUs aren't necessary these days. A badass GPU like a single GTX 780 or R9 290x will go a long ways and you can run 2 cards like dual GTX 770s on a quality unit like an X Gold 650w. (GUy here runs a GTX 690 on an X Gold 550w easy).

RAM will be good for a while. 1600 is the sweet spot even still. If you wanted to get yourself a cheapo 2GB 1600 stick to add for 8GB you'd be golden.

HDD and SSD. For a starter package I usually recommend people the Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB, Samsung 840pro 128GB, or Samsung EVO 120GB. Great SSDs, and the EVO still has a fantastic price coupled with a Seagate 1TB for storage and large data. (Take note, there are still only a few games capable of taking advantage of exceptionally quick latency of an SSD)

CPU cooler, all I prefer and recommend anymore is AIO units anyways. H80i or H100i. If you can find one the Swiftech H220 is beastly.

My 295's will perform just as I am expecting them. I understand they are no where near this generation of performance, but for the $61 I spent, they're more than enough. I'm sure once I get everything else bought, I'll upgrade (GTX690 or 7990 once my yearly bonus from work comes in). I'll be playing ArmAII and DayZ mostly. I'm not too concerned with DX11 support, as of now.

The 4770k, is $138 shipped (Brand New from Intel), which is no where near beatable by any other CPU on the market.

The PSU I have been looking at is the RM850 by Corsair. 70A on the 12V rail, very efficient, and quality built.

I've noticed the PNY SSD's, reviewed good, roughly the same price, and for essentially the same performance level. Not to say I wouldn't choose the 840's, just keeping my options opened.

It is an amazing deal on the chip. I was going with the FX-8350, until I was able to get the 4770k.

I've decided on the H100i, looks like a great cooler, thanks Mguire.

These days it isn't about performance as you'll get the "noticeable" difference among SSDs from anything coming from the SATA2 drives to the most recent. Controller and flash quality is where it's at and I would not trust any SSD running a Sandforce these days. I know the Sandforce fiasco was yesteryear, but some are still having issues and it's just not a wise move IMO.

RM is a good option. They are replacing the HX series but I have not read any reviews on them yet so therefor I don't recommend them myself. I'm sure they're good but I like to do my own research on items before saying "hey get this". Probably last you a good long time. If it's anything like the HX850 you can hit it with 1200+w of draw and it won't blow up. Just shut down :p (Don't ask me how I know this)

$138 for a 4770k....I'm pretty jelly and I have a 3960x. Beat that AMD lol.

Traded the 295's for a GTX470 and cash. Just bought an additional 470 on [H].

Not high end, but came out on top with the cash, and DX11.

Alright, so I've narrowed it down on which motherboard and processor. I will be going with a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC paired with an Intel Core i7 4770k. I will also be upgrading the 470's to a single 770 4GB once that bonus from work comes in.

As for the hard drives/solid state drives, I still haven't settled. Want to read up a little more on controllers and such. Toshiba solid state drives have been jumping out for their price and performance.

Back
Top Bottom