New SSD... now GPU troubles

What FPS should I be getting in Kombustor? I have downclocked my 550 ti and I am having success as far as the card not crashing. When I say crashing I mean the drivers stopping not the computer crashing. However, I'm only getting a 18 FPS average and I am witnessing GPU throttling of half the set core speed. My fan is manually set to 100% and my GPU temp is in the 90C range. :(

I haven't checked this in a game to see what will happen. I'm kind of scared to because it will tell me the inevitable... which is my card is junk now.

But what do you think? I downed the following and it isn't crashing out:
Core Speed : 1100 down to 965
Memory: 2100 down to 1955
Voltage pegs out under load no matter what I set it to before hand.
I'm getting an average FPS of 15 to 19.
My card temps are 90C+

Thanks,
Mark

I fresh installed my 550 ti card, fresh installed the up-to-date Nvidia drivers and have not touched anything in the Nvidia Control Panel for 3D settings. Everything is fresh.

Using Kombustor... is the point to have GPU throttling not appear? Because I didn't touch the Memory Clock at all and just downed the Core Clock slightly. Full fan speed (manually) and the Voltage pegs no matter what after load. The card drivers are not crashing but my FPS average is only 20 and my Core Clock speed throttles by half throughout most of the test. I tested it for 1 minute. It started throttling about 10 seconds into the test and my temp went to 95C around 15 seconds into the test. It stayed pretty steady after that.

What do you think? Is my card salvageable? That kind of FPS in a game would be unacceptable but I don't know what to think when in Kombustor.

Card is running 97-98C after about 30 seconds in Kombustor and then stays 97/98. However, GPU is throttling down to 1/4 - 1/2 it's original clock speed while at these temps. Voltage spikes to max in Afterburner during Kombustor test (even if I manually set it at half) and I'm running my fan at 100% manually before the Kombustor test. This is what I'm getting:

Afterburner settings:
Voltage won't budge from max.
Core Clock: from 1000 down to 970
Mem Clock: I didn't touch... it's at 2200
Fan Speed: Set to 100% before test

Kombustor results: I just ran it for 1 minute

Avg. FPS - 19
Temp: spiked to 98C after 10 to 15 seconds and stayed 97/98C throughout test
Clock speed throttled once at 98C temp and throttled as much as half the set clock speed (970 Mhz)

I don't know what this all means but if those FPS are anything like actual in game FPS rates... I might as well throw this card out in the trash. This was the only test that stayed up for the 1 minute duration that I gave it. All others, with clock speed above 970 failed within seconds.

Should I mess with the Memory Clock speed at all.
What do you think?

Don't worry about the FPS, these tests don't need FPS counts at all and it doesn't matter in Kombustor as it's only a load testing program.

You have an overheating issue. Tear your heatsink apart and clean it then repaste and put it back in. If that doesn't work you need to see if you can RMA it still or you'll need to replace it.

Last edited:
Clear that off properly with a coffee filter and rubbing alcohol. That doesn't come off, that's the core IHS. Also if you have dust in your VRMs make sure it's all clear.

Thank you for the great advice. I carefully took the shroud and heatsink off the card. Cleaned the heatsink and Nvidia square on the chip. Reapplied thermal compound and reassembled. Problem fixed!

Thank you again. I was having my doubts that doing that would make any difference but shows how much I know. LOL - It's ALIVE again.

Your the best,
Mark W.

Back
Top Bottom