Is this GPU fried?

stocon

Solid State Member
Found this when cleaning GPU. Notebook had been running hot so I'm swapping the fan out and cleaning chips and heat sink. Having problems getting old paste off heat sink.. using Isop Alcohol, think i need something stronger any recommendations would be appreciated
TIA,
Steve

imgur: the simple image sharer

Use 90% isopropyl alcohol and coffee filters (slightly abrasive, but not too abrasive). And use your fingernails if you have to scrape some off if it won't come off with the coffee filter/scrubbing.

Never had any issues with getting thermal paste off that way.

Yes I saw the picture; I can't tell if it's fried. Are there any popped / broken resistors or anything like that? Is that glob on the front of the chip just thermal paste?

Why do you think it's fried? Is it not turning on anymore or what?

No that's not paste more of a silvery color..maybe on it's way out.
All resistors are fine and it was working.. but the whole computer was running hot..in the 90s with speedfan for cpu and gpu. That chip doesn't come out does it? It's a graphics card right?

what about paint thinner? Is that ok to use on the heat sink? I've never had this kinda problem cleaning that stuff. It hard as paint.

http://imgur.com/tQeRZEB,RMfIBY4

http://imgur.com/tQeRZEB,RMfIBY4#1

Last edited:
I wouldn't use paint thinner on it IMO; could be too abrasive.

If it's the compound on the heatsink(s) you're having trouble with, just scrape that off with your fingernail and then wipe it off with coffee filter/isopropyl alcohol.

As for the GPU itself... no you can't take just the chip off - you'd have to take out the whole card.

Thx Carnage. One more quick question what are those pads on my heatsink? Do they need to be replaced? They cover other chips, not the main ones..check the picture .
Tia,
Steve

imgur: the simple image sharer

Those are thermal pads. Similar to thermal compound but they can be reused. So I would leave those on unless you have replacements already. I have reused them without issue though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TechForums

Back
Top Bottom