Votes: 0 0.0%
  • VIDEO CARD

• I dont know.....

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I prefer Maxtor. I have never had a problem with any of their drives. Seagate on the other hand gave me loads of hassle a few years back, mind you it was a barracuda.

Groovin...nice trick , ill have to tri it for sure! freez it....hmmmm ok
i have tried sea " bill " gates , Wd , and still have them laying around here some where ..the sea " bill " gate lasted about 2 months ...this was a few years ago..... replaced it with same and same happened , went to maxtor ..been there since ...24-7-365
i guess when its time for a crash its time no matter what you have

This was posted on another forum by a professional technician:

Put the drive into an airtight bag, like a Ziploc bag, or wrap it TIGHTLY in plastic wrap or a garbage bag, THEN wrap the entire thing in a medium-size towel, and place it in your freezer for 20 minutes.

The idea is that you want to see if deep-cooling it QUICKLY will allow it to run one more time. You do NOT want to FREEZE it, because as it THAWS, you'll have condensation INSIDE the drive, and the water will probably cause many problems, so do NOT leave it in the freezer for more than 30 minutes at MOST.

I actually tried this trick with a friend; his drive died, and we could NOT get it to work, even after leaving it in the freezer for 30 minutes, BUT, he later told me that he DID have success doing the same thing while visiting family members who were having problems with their system.

If it works, you'll get one last BRIEF chance to retrieve some data; if it doesn't work, you'll be no worse off than you are right now.

And this was added by someone who actually tried it...

Because what you can do is freeze the drive, and when it starts acting up during data transfer, hit it with the freeze spray ( I've done this, and in most cases, I was able to retrive about 95% of the data, some cases was 100% )..
Liz

My maxtor has been hangin on, not to well though.
i randomly get a notification from windows saying that hardware was improperly disconected, and then ig gives the model of my disk. ater that i hear my hd power down then re-power myself and i get the message repeatedly, this repeats itself untill i reboot my system. its a 10gb maxtor thats 3 yrs old.

180Mhz said:
My maxtor has been hangin on, not to well though.
i randomly get a notification from windows saying that hardware was improperly disconected, and then ig gives the model of my disk. ater that i hear my hd power down then re-power myself and i get the message repeatedly, this repeats itself untill i reboot my system. its a 10gb maxtor thats 3 yrs old.

id say its time to upgrade to a new maxtor 250 gig or what ever you can afford , these days a 120 gig is cheap.

180Mhz said:
the freezer?
Ive never heard of that before... how does that work?

yes, just like posted above.....
a failed HDD isn't a failed HDD unless it's been a useless drive after a turn in the freezer......
can't believe you haven't tried this yet. i've been doing this for years with nothing but good results.

Honestly, just go with a WD, Ive had a Maxtor fail and has/knows about WD if you have any questions. You can find any size/speed drive you need from them, although I'm not sure about their SI drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom