Computer shuts off after a short while

y2adre

In Runtime
I have a system running one of the 1st gen phenom quad 2.2ghz processor, 4 gigs ram, and a geforce 250gts video card. I turn it on and start transferring a movie from my upstairs computer which is sort of like a main server for my media collection (Over 1600 movies. I stream dvds and Keep the Blue rays local on each computer because they tend to buffer). I started transferring the movie and I walk downstairs to grab a drink and it's off when I return. I have a 300 watt besttec power supply (trust me it was from a system someone gave me), which I think may be the issue. Im not sure if it's a short in it or if the parts are to powerful for the power supply. Any suggestions.

PS I tried while disconnecting the video card and did the same thing.

bestech power supplies have a horrible reputation for reliability, they aslo have a reputation for taking out your motherboard when they do go. I would replace that psu just for the fact that it will kill your board when it goes

Agreed fellas, I will replace and not turn it on. My friend had the same problem with his system last week and gave it to me. Behold it was a prebuilt system with a best tec power supply. I think it zapped his board and some ram as well. Thanks again

I did repaste the processor and I ran HW Monitor Pro to view temps. Processor was a little high. I may rewipe the Heatsink and Processor and do a fresh paste. Temps were between 51.0-55.5C on the processor. I dont know. i do the normal Pea size amount

Last edited:
That should be a rice size dot. Spread pretty thin, but not so much that you can read the writing on the chip. What kind of thermal paste are you using, btw?

Back
Top Bottom