New CPU Fan issues

citronbull

Baseband Member
I recently changed the stock CPU fan that come with the i5 processor. Now the computer shuts off after 5 minutes. I checked the fan, it is running just fine. The fan is the CM Hyper520. Any suggestions?

If you removed the heatsink with the fan during the replacement, you'll have to clean off all the old thermal paste and apply a new coat, and check that your heatsink is properly seated on the cpu.
Also, check the direction of the air flow it should be blowing down into the heatsink, if the fans on backwards, it would be blowing the air flow up

Still having issues. Yes, I removed all the paste before putting in a new set. II also checked if the CPU is seted correctly. Weird thing is, sometimes the computer turns off after 5 mins, sometimes it stays on for 30 mins, it stayed on for 2 hours the other day. At this point, I am thinking of replacing the motherboard. I'm really frustrated, and my 6 year son is always on the computer. I feel bad for him.

Ok I'll try that. If it gets hot because of that, should I get a new fan? The fan that I bought is running just fine.

if it's getting too hot then flip the fan to blow air into the heatsink, If this CM520 has two fans, then one fan should blow in and the other blow out for a push-pull effect. The air flow through the heatsink should be facing towards the rear exhaust fan or up the the blow hole in the top of your case to eject the hot cpu heat out of the case (depending on your case configuration). Also re-check the install of the heatsink, to be sure you do not have too much or too little thermal paste and the heatsink is making good contact with the cpu, you might have to remove the motherboard to do this

Edit: I re-read your first post:
The fan is the CM Hyper520. Any suggestions
Are you just using just the fan or did you install the hyper 520 heatsink too?
If you only replaced the fan, then pop the intel stock fan that came with the stock heat sink back on it.....How did you remove the stock fan from the intel stock heatsink?

Last edited:
The fan came with the heatsink and is attached to it. I tried to install the stock fan that came with the i5 and the computer shuts off after 2 minutes. I'm thinking of buying a different CPU fan at this point and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom