Hard drive used space increasing

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiteknight01

Solid State Member
Why after uninstalling a program, specifically games does my hard drive space usage not reflect it? After a period of time my hard drive usage has increased by over 7 gb after deleting games out. I have searched for any remaining components and deleted them out as well. Also have run disk defragmenter. Operating system XP. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Empty the bin and remove the temp files.

x:/docs and settings/username/localsettings/temp
x:/windows/temp

Hard Drive Usage Space Growing

Thanks for the reply. I had emptied the bin and I looked at the temp file and the only thing there was 444KB which was a security catalog..........any other thoughts? Thanks for the reply

The System Restore feature in Xp also uses too much hard drive space. Thats probably taking a chunk out of your hard drive.

do you surf the net alot? there are a bunch of cookies on your puter and you may need to clean them out ....
i need a lil help on this on though.. i have used "f-disk " to look at the size of my drive before and when i came back to windows it reported to me the the size being reported was incorrect and wanted to know if i wanted it fixed..any one seen that one before?
Also you can go look at you V.R. drive size windows uses and see how much is being used ( held ) by windows.. as i stated before windows likes a lot of room on a harddrive, that will be found in the system settings advanced area, if you dont know what your doing dont try to fix it!

Most games will save your "saved games" which some times take up a lot of space. Delete those from the Program Files folder.
Definatley disable system restore just to clear it out, then you can enable it, that should give you a ton of space.

Also you might want to check for spyware, virus's, stuff like that. Virii can get on your computer and sit there and replicate itself over and over again which will just keep eating up your HD space. I actually had a virus like this on my macintosh in like '97 or so.....can't believe anyone actually was bored enough to write a virus for macintosh.... :p

empty the bin is the recycle bin, right? Dont most people when they delete something empty the recycle bin after deleting the files? Thats what I do.

Thanks but no go

Thanks for the input............I have tried the things mentioned but still does not resolve the hard drive space being taken up even after uninstalling the game. I know my hard drive usage space when just my operating system and all other items but games are in and it is about 30 gigs. An example of what happens is: I install a game that takes 3 gigs and when done unintall it which should put me back to 30 gigs used but it is almost 33 still even after uninstalling, cleaning up cookies, running defrag........the same thing is happening with other people I know and was hoping to find out the cause of it. Thanks again for the help given and any other suggestions are appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom