back in the game

Nagasama

disgruntled ex-moderator
Hello everyone
Nagasama here back from a long hiatus from my old TF stomping ground.
Been busy having kids and building a business, I hope all the old timers are still here and doing well.
In any event, looking for a little confirmation:
Right now I'm running a q9450 from 09 on an xfx 750i at 3.6ghz with 2 1gb gtx460s in sli. Now, this chip has served me extremely well over the last half decade or so. But alas, the time has come for Naga to bid farewell to his trusty yorkie and get back in the upgrade game. But I've been out for awhile. Here is the combo from the egg that I am a breath away from pulling the trigger on:

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, and More!

I will also add a phanteks PH-TC12DX cooler (better than the 212 evo, correct?)
I have read a bit about haswell so yes I know about the heat when overclocking. Lol there's a throwback to the old days when I knew how to OC a chip before I even had it.
But frankly, I really don't think I will NEED to overclock it. I'm sure I will just to see what it can do because that's how I roll...but no 24/7 OC like I've had on my yorkfield pretty much since the day I've had it..
I also know that haswell is probably not a worthwhile upgrade from sandy or ivy, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to see an enormous performance increase (my q9450 is holding my 460s back in bf3) coming from yorkfield.
And I want to juice these 460s for all they got with a haswell, and if I'm not satisfied with that, I already have most of the money saved for a 4gb gtx770...which should kind of indicate that I'm getting a new card pretty soon haha.
Thoughts? Questions? Comments?

Welcome back to the land of the walking dead... :p

I'm sure that the old school masses will leave their mark soon enough, and I'm sure that any new build will be what you needed...

I could offer my opinion, but why do that, when soon enough you will be flooded with newegg lists. :p

Link just takes me to the Newegg home page.

Right now if you're going with a new Intel CPU then there isn't a reason not to go Haswell. And since I'm running a 580 which is a performance indicator to 2 460s I'll tell you that you will want that 770.
Instead of getting the tower cooler I highly suggest a Corsair H series instead.

Hey guys.
Ok sorry bout that link, worked on my phone.
It's the combo with
8gb ripjaws ddr3 1866
And msi g45 mobo
For like 415.
I also had seen that they have refurb h100 for 65 bucks which is tempting despite the terrifying "r" word. Which is only 15 bucks more than the phanteks. The (very few) comparisons I have found between them put the phanteks within a few degrees of the h80/h100. Accurate? I don't know. Never done water for the reason many haven't.
I'm trying to decide if it's worth the risk/reward for me. Im not saying I won't ever OC it. But Im
thinking by the time it would be "necessary" lol I would be willing to delid it to keep temps in check.

You mean 4670k?

I wouldn't do that combo. It's rather pointless considering that's a really cheap motherboard with an overclocking chip. You need a Z87 board to overclock. You also don't need RAM faster than 1600 for 95% of the things out there.

As to the water. It's a sealed no maintenance loop. The fail rate on these things is exceptionally low so the scare shouldn't be there. I've been using one alongside my custom loop since 2009 and have put several into customer builds. As far as temps, there are many things that set these aside from tower coolers besides temps. I'd be willing to bet at stock the H80i would better the tower cooler while also keeping that weight off your socket and blowing all heat out the back of your case. Only a couple of advantages right there. I don't have time currently to list them all out. They are stupid easy to put on too, so no worries there.

As for the hardware itself I would look for these.

ASRock Extreme3 Z87 (copy paste that exactly into the Newegg search to find it)
8GB 1600MHz any kind of DDR3 dual channel (2x4) or 2x8 if you want to up the budget.

Make sure your PSU is up to par, and if you have any spare cash I highly suggest an SSD as well. I'll be able to reply in about...12-14 hours.

here is the combo:
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
it is a z87 mobo. with decent OC results, seeing as how most aren't getting over 4.4-4.6 on the haswells anyways, and that seems to be the norm for pretty much any mobo/4670k combo. plus, it matches the theme and colors of my case (haha yes im still ocd about that).
yes I mean a 4670k (wtf phone lol)
I went for this combo because is it a z87-g45 mobo vs a z87-g43 mobo and ddr3 1866 vs ddr3 1600, and it is only like 10.00 more.
as far as PSU I have a corsair HX750, so no problem with the juice. also a HAF 932, so no problem with space constraints for a H100 (or the kitchen sink). although I think I have to mount on top panel of case vs rear but I am not 100% certain on that, 95% though. H80 rad would be small enough to exhaust from rear case panel, but the double of the h100 is too long to fit there, also the rear exhaust fan of my case is 140mm, not 120mm, so some sort of mod would be needed to use the h80.
SSD is on the list, but I want to do cpu/ram/mobo, then gpu (have most of this saved already), then SSD. definitely in the cards to get one though, probably at same time as gpu, depending on how much I sell my current rig/gpus/ram for .
as far as refurb h100, any problems with that? seems that they are just as reliable as the non-refurb.
Also looked at the hyper 212 evo but I don't know if it has the cajones to keep up with ANY kind of oc on the chip.
edit* actually looking at cart totals, with the phantek and two 120mm fans (the fans with cooler are UGLY), the total is like five dollars MORE than with the refurb h100.
hmmmmm.

Last edited:
Microcenters only in Dallas and Houston, both 3+ hours from me.
My dodge woukd burn more diesel than the savings lol.
Yep primarily for gaming. I do facebook too haha.
Interested to hear pp's opinion on the refurb h100 when his slave drivers cut him loose.
What's up veedub I remember you from yesteryear

Your in Texas?!?!

... and here I had this assumption of you being in New York for some reason.

The H100 is real good. I missed out on picking up on refirb from TigerDirect, so I settled for the H60. But my first unit would have been the 100. The H60 alone dropped my temps by at least 10C (not not more), and I was using the Cooler Master Hyper 212 which is an awesome cooler in it's own right.

here is the combo:
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
it is a z87 mobo. with decent OC results, seeing as how most aren't getting over 4.4-4.6 on the haswells anyways, and that seems to be the norm for pretty much any mobo/4670k combo. plus, it matches the theme and colors of my case (haha yes im still ocd about that).
yes I mean a 4670k (wtf phone lol)
I went for this combo because is it a z87-g45 mobo vs a z87-g43 mobo and ddr3 1866 vs ddr3 1600, and it is only like 10.00 more.
as far as PSU I have a corsair HX750, so no problem with the juice. also a HAF 932, so no problem with space constraints for a H100 (or the kitchen sink). although I think I have to mount on top panel of case vs rear but I am not 100% certain on that, 95% though. H80 rad would be small enough to exhaust from rear case panel, but the double of the h100 is too long to fit there, also the rear exhaust fan of my case is 140mm, not 120mm, so some sort of mod would be needed to use the h80.
SSD is on the list, but I want to do cpu/ram/mobo, then gpu (have most of this saved already), then SSD. definitely in the cards to get one though, probably at same time as gpu, depending on how much I sell my current rig/gpus/ram for .
as far as refurb h100, any problems with that? seems that they are just as reliable as the non-refurb.
Also looked at the hyper 212 evo but I don't know if it has the cajones to keep up with ANY kind of oc on the chip.
edit* actually looking at cart totals, with the phantek and two 120mm fans (the fans with cooler are UGLY), the total is like five dollars MORE than with the refurb h100.
hmmmmm.
Combo isn't really saving you any cash considering this setup is 30 bucks cheaper.

Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54670K
Newegg.com - ASRock Z87 Extreme3 LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-8GAO - Newegg.com

If you already got it, no harm done I suppose. I just don't really like combos because usually it can be a gimmick lately.

As to the H100, I would get it, but personally I'm cooling a hotter chip on an H50 so I know an H80i (don't forget the i) can cool a 4670k overclocked if my H50 can cool a 3960x at 4.4. Since you have a 140mm slot in the back you could even do an H90. Having it mounted in the back or on top doesn't matter. Long as the heat is directly exhausted.

Back
Top Bottom