Newbie needing info on how to add multiple monitors/TV

briemark

Beta member
I gave my son an HP Pavilion Slimline PC s5311f for Christmas last year. This is stock, as we have made no changes since I purchased it. He loves it, but wants to connect 2 monitors to it, as well as his 32" LCD TV (if possible). If they all 3 cannot be connected at the same time (new graphics card?), is there a way to switch between any 2 of the 3 at any time via some sort of "switcher"? If so, can someone help me understand what is needed to accomplish this? Thanks in advance, sorry for the "newb" question. From what I read, you guys are awesome, so hopefully you can help me.

Mark

Last edited:
You'll need to install a video card with 3+ output ports and triple monitor support. For a triple monitor setup (treat the TV as any other monitor), one of the monitors must be connected through a display port. If none of the monitors have a display port input, you will need an active display port to vga/dvi/hdmi adapter.

If you have the extra PCIe slots, you can add a second video card to avoid having to deal with the display port. I don't think your computer has that, though.

Either way, you might need to upgrade your PSU to accommodate a new video card.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the information and the quick response! Being totally ignorant to this, would you happen to have any suggestions as to a particular video card and PSU that may work for this application?

This card will get the job done:
XFX HD-667X-ZHF3 Radeon HD 6670 1GB PCI Express Video Card - Newegg.com

The active display port adapter will depend on which kind of port you want to plug it into. Presumably, the TV will connect via HDMI, and the DVI will go to one of the monitors. Simply find an adaptor that goes with whatever input the last monitor has available. On the off chance that it has a display port input, you won't need an adapter, just the cable.

Check the wattage on your PSU. You'll have to open the case and look at the physical unit to see. You should have at least 400W for that card. If you don't, then I would suggest upgrading to something like this:
Rosewill CAPSTONE Series CAPSTONE-450 450W Continuous @ 50°C, 80 PLUS GOLD Certified, Single +12V Rail, ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92, SLI Ready, CrossFire Ready, Active - PFC Power Supply - Retail - Newegg.com

Maybe someone else can chime in if they can find something cheaper, but those will work well for what you want.

correct me if I'm wrong, but dont all 3 montior setups require active adapters? and a displayport?

No. If each monitor has a port that will connect to the video card then an adapter isn't needed. The TV will connect via HDMI so it leaves VGA and DVI for the other two based off the video card I linked. Since his PC has a VGA IGP one can assume one monitor is VGA leaving the DVI port. If the last monitor doesn't have a DVI port then he can use the passive DVI to VGA adapter included.

For further clarification the DAC for the DVI to VGA connectors is built into the card making it passive BUT on the brand new 290 and 290x they did away with this. Straight digital.

Back
Top Bottom