Difference in RAM Speeds

GLaDOS

In Runtime
Hi everyone,

I'm building a gaming system this month - the main game being Flight Simulator X. I've got my parts list ready (link below) but had a quick question about RAM speed. I had already purchased my memory (Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600) but am now receiving recommendations for something with faster speeds such as the F3-2400C9D-8GTXD DDR3-2400 2x4GB CAS 9 @$110 and the F3-2600C10D-8GTXD DDR3-2600 2x4GB CAS 10 @$140.

Does the increased ram speeds to 2400 and 2600 make a noticeable difference? I would really appreciate anyone's insight. Thanks so much!!

Parts list:
Intel Core i7-4770K, EVGA GeForce GTX 780, Azza Hurrican 2000R - System Build - PCPartPicker

No, not really, 1600mhz is good enough for everything really unless you're running a server, you wont notice a difference in games with ram faster than that

Like I told you before in the previous threads, anything over 1600 is a waste in all areas besides benchmarking and high end productivity. Much like HT is pointless while gaming.

Like I told you before in the previous threads, anything over 1600 is a waste in all areas besides benchmarking and high end productivity. Much like HT is pointless while gaming.

Hi PP Mguire. That's true - you did address RAM in original review of my parts list, which I appreciated. But I was merely asking if there was a noticeable difference between beyond 1600MHz, which was not addressed.

Nope, and I'm pretty sure I've said that in almost any thread anybody makes about faster RAM speeds ;) Hence why I said it was a waste. I have 2133 in my machine right now which can also run at 2333. I run them at 1600 because there isn't a reason to run any faster with what I do. If there was any benefit I would recommend faster than 1600 to certain people with the budget that demands it.

Back
Top Bottom