2GB vs 1GB vram

When you have a lower resolution like that games are more CPU bound rather than GPU bound. When you're dealing with lower end cards the amount of VRAM doesn't really matter all that much because you need the horsepower to process the extra textures stored in RAM.

If you can get an R9 270x you should do that instead rather than the 7850.

Mguire is right, in that the 270x is better, but, if he just gets 1gb of vram he's kind of limiting himself. Even with a entry level card

Not at all. It's pointless to have more than 1GB of VRAM on lower end GPUs due to the fact that they don't have the power to handle the extra info being fed. You only want 2 or more on higher midrange and high end cards. The only exception being productivity.

That's not true in gta 4, even with the visual candy down, turn up the view distance and it will start eating vram

Yea and on cards that are low end you can have the VRAM to turn it up but it'll still lag because the card isn't powerful enough. This was proven with the 1.5GB vs 3GB 580s. Top end at the time, but the extra VRAM didn't help that much due to it technically being low power to today's standards.

Not at all. It's pointless to have more than 1GB of VRAM on lower end GPUs due to the fact that they don't have the power to handle the extra info being fed. You only want 2 or more on higher midrange and high end cards. The only exception being productivity.

Mguire is right, in that the 270x is better, but, if he just gets 1gb of vram he's kind of limiting himself. Even with a entry level card

Sorry for not replying sooner- I didn't realise both of you had replied!

Anyway as nice as a 270 would be I simply can't afford it (it is £20 more). However I just found a perfect alternative that not only has 2GB of vram, but is also (correct me if I am wrong) the card the 270 is based off of:

Sapphire 11199-16-20G AMD Radeon HD 7870 Dual-X 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card (HDMI, DVI-I, DVI-D, Display Port, PCI Express 3.0, 256-Bit, AMD Avivo HD): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom